Parallels 5, autocad 2010 freezes

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MCS, Nov 17, 2009.

1. MCS

MCS Bit poster

I've updated from parallels 4 to version 5 and suffer from the slow performance and continuous freezes while running Autocad 2010 on Windows XP.
    Autodesk now makes support for parallels so I expected much better performance.
    I've repported the problem with the ID 866183.
    My laptop is a macbook pro 3'06 processor, 4 gigs of ram running snow leopard.
    What´s the best configuration for running autocad?
    Thank you for your attention.

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

MCS,

Is there any specific scenario for the hang? A particular drawing to load? Some command sequence to execute?
    BTW, what driver are you running? What if you try switching the drivers from AutoCAD preferences (sorry, can't provide you with specific instructions right now)?

3. MCS

MCS Bit poster

While on full screen mode it usually runs ok except while making 3d for a while. The problem affects usually to the coherence or crystal mode.
    I want just the best configuration for running autocad as smooth as possible.
    Activate or not adaptative hypervisor?
    Manual or automatic ram? if manual, how much?
    How much graphics dedicated?
    2 processors?
    Does working in full screen mode make a better performance than coherence?
    Does windows 7 work better than xp?
    Macbook pro 17. Snow leopard, parallels 5, windows xp. 3'06ghz, 4 g ram, 512 graphics card
    Thanks

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

MCS,

It always advisable to leave obscure settings at their defaults, i.e. disable Adaptive Hypervisor and total memory allocated to Parallels Desktop to Automatic.
    I'd give XP 2Gb of main memory per AutoCAD system requirements.
    We set 256Mb of graphics memory to new VMs. But AutoCAD doesn't actually need that much, so 128Mb is enough.
    Since you're running on MBP go with 1 processor first and only experiment with 2 if unsatisfied with XP performance.
    Right now full screen is faster for 3D graphics than Coherence/Crystal.
    I'm unaware of any performance study of AutoCAD in XP vs 7, so can not advise. But Autodesk KB lists a few minor issues in Windows 7.
    Hope this helps.

5. EmirS

EmirS Bit poster

i have installed parallels 5.0 on macbook pro early 2009, specs 2.4ghz 4 gigs RAM.
    also installed windows 7 64 bitt with acad 2010 64 bitt reserved 2GB Ram en 64GB but i starts verry slow, takes about 20min to open acad2010 en working in acad freezes many times.
    tried windows 7 32bitt with acad 2010 32 bitt same problem.

can this be solved to run acad 2010 normal?

6. Puinsai

Puinsai Bit poster

I am having the same issue. MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB Ram, running Snow Leopard and Windows 7 and Autocad 2010 LT under Parallels 5. It installs successfully but when I go to launch the app it essentially freezes and I cannot navigate or close windows. I am running 64 bit version of Win7 and Autocad 2010LT. It is very frustrating because I was really thinking this would be the ideal setup but you can't even use the program. My Win7 was a fresh install just for this Autucad program. I was thinking of installing XP and running the 32 bit version but I see from other posts that this is just as bad. I did install autocad 2010 LT on my other MBP which is a 2.0 GHz box running snow leopardand winXP on Parallels 5. That install was much more successful and I can work in the program but it is too slow for professional use. There is clearly an issue with Parallels, Win7, or Autocad and I canot believe Autodesk woudl announce full suport when the program functions as it does. Hoping to figure this out.

7. GavinH

GavinH Bit poster

Autocad 2010 unusable

I'm having exactly the same problem - MBP, 2.53GHz, 4GB ram.
    32bit version Acad 2010 on Windows 7 in Parallels 5.
    All of which I have installed specifically because of Autodesk's support for this combination.

Any parallels users got this working properly?

8. Alex Passey

Alex Passey Bit poster

i have the same problem. parallels 5, autocad10 on my imac, 4gb. takes ages to load autocad, when running after half an hour it constantly freezes??

9. Puinsai

Puinsai Bit poster

I am able to launch Autocad 2010LT but it takes about 20 minutes to open. Once I got it open I followed some of the advice others have had hear like changing some of the options but that didn't help anything. I have also followed some other suggestions on ram allocation settings (keep around 2GB but not more), processors (using only1), Hyperadvisor OFF, Video Card (use the 9400 on my MBP Unibody), view settings (Full Screen or window seems to work best) but nothign works. What's odd is that if I go to update Autocad 2010 there is an update for the 64 bit version but it won't install because Windows 7 is not listed as a supported platform.

Basically, Autocad 2010 does not work for me and I am not sure if it is a Parallels 5 issue (likely), a Windows 7 issue or an Autocad 2010 issue (likely). Where to start? I was going to try Windows XP and the 32 bit versions to se if that works any better.

My setup: MBP 2.4Ghz Unibody, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard, Windows 7 64 bit, Autocad 2010 LT 64 Bit.

10. gdpasteur

gdpasteur Bit poster

Try This...

Hello All,

I may be able to help give some pointers. I have been working with Parallels support for about 2 weeks to resolve Autocad Architecture 2010 issues, and Architecture is much more intensive than Vanilla CAD this should help both.

Most Importantly, the solution that finally solved my problem, anyone that UPGRADED to 5.0 needs to completely uninstall Parallels (not the VMs, just Parallels) and reinstall it fresh. This created significantly better performance.

As far as settings go, try the following:
    1. Disable SmartMount (annoying but necessary)
    2. Set your RAM towards the higher end of the recommended amount for your system, I used 2048mb.
    3. Only 1 processor
    4. 256mb Video, I know Parallels said this isn't required but I don't think the realize how graphics intensive 3D CAD can be.
    5. I left Adaptive Hypervisor enabled, but after reading this thread I may try it without and see how it goes.
    6. Use Full screen mode, it helps a lot.
    7. Disable Aero functions in Vista or Windows 7, google search can explain the steps.
    8. Set it to dedicate performance for Virtual Machine under General settings in the configure panel.

I hope this helps, I will update again if I remember anything else.

11. Puinsai

Puinsai Bit poster

Thanks for posting your suggestions gdpasteur. I had all the settings you suggested except for the smartmount and my systems just wouldn't run Autocad LT 2010 64 bit under Parallels 5 (fresh install), Snow Leopard, and Windows 7 (64 bit). There is a serious bug somewhere in the chain and I am sure they will get it worked out eventually.

What I did do was install a new OS (WinXP Pro)under Parallels 5, download all updates and then I installed Autocad LT 2010 (32 bit). The software runs fine so far with no issues. It's sad that the 64 bit versions don't work because I was thinking we would get even better performance under 64 bit.

I am up and running but not in the ideal scenario. I liked Win7 but I don't think Autocad 2010 does especially in a VM environment.

12. gdpasteur

gdpasteur Bit poster

Update

After my post yesterday I tried several different installations and have discovered the following:

1. During the installation process of Autocad click the 'Configure' button to do a custom installation.
    2. Select your License Type and click 'Next'
    3. Select your Installation type and click 'Next'
    4. Select the Content Packs you want and click 'Next'
    5. Set your Configurable Folders (or leave to Default) and click 'Next'

Now Autocad will connect to the Internet and search for Updates, my installation found "Autocad Architecture 2010 Product Update 1" which I had never previously installed when it wasn't working. So this time I clicked "Download" and once it says that the "Service Pack is ready to install" click Configuration Complete and then Install. After the installation is finished start Autocad and it works.

I then tried this same method on a co-workers computer first without the update (didn't work) and then uninstalled and reinstalled using the update and it worked! Two different computer with the same result, try the Autocad update.

Just for reference I did this with Autocad Architecture 2010 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Snow Leopard, and Parallels 5

My computer on which it is working: iMac 3.06 ghz, 4gb RAM
    My friend's on which it is working: MacBook Pro 2.5 ghz, 4gb RAM

I had less success trying the update with Windows 7 and Autocad 2010 32-bit versions, but I only tried it once.

Good luck, and please let me know if this works for anyone else.

13. skeedatl

skeedatl Member

Same problem

Parallels 5 on my 2006 Mac Pro with 16GB Ram, 13" MacBook Pro and 2008 iMac takes forever to launch AutoCAD LT 2010. It doesn't matter how many procs or RAM I give it, it takes 20 minutes to start. Parallels 4 worked fine with AutoCAD. I'm having to reinstall Parallels 4 and recreate my VMs from scratch because of this bug. Very frustrating.

14. skeedatl

skeedatl Member

And I would add it doesn't matter what guest OS I use

2006 Mac Pro Quad 3GHz
    HD4870 1GB Snow Leopard 16GB FBDIMM
    XP SP3 Parallels 5 build 9220

2009 13" MacBook Pro 2.26
    9400M Snow Leopard 4GB
    Vista Business SP2

2008 24" iMac 3.06
    8800GS Snow Leopard 6GB
    Vista Business SP2

All machines take around 20 minutes to load ACAD LT 2010. There was an AutoDesk KB article stating that Windows Live One Care can cause ACAD to take for minutes at start but I'm running NOD32. I've also tried it with no AV installed and no improvement. Looking at task manager and activity monitor it's just sitting there doing nothing, as if it is waiting for a network connection. As mentioned in my previous post, Parallels 3 and 4 ran ACAD 2008-2010 with no problems at all.

15. Brett Schmidt

Brett Schmidt Bit poster

Dec 19 - same Cad issues

Seasons greetings to all. Exact same problem on this end.
    I'm running a brand new (1 week old) Macbook Pro; 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Upgraded to 8 GB 1067MHz DDR3 Ram.
    Parallels Version 5 with the latest updates installs and runs fine.Installed and updated Windows 7 64 bit with all the latest updates.

Windows 7 runs great, in fact in Desktop Mode the MBP scores higher than my HP and Dell laptop's! (rebooting takes little more than 45 seconds)
    AutoCad 2010 on the other hand seems to be having a MAJOR issue; installation takes over an hour. After finally installing it takes well into the half hour mark to start up and even then it is very very slow with obvious lag. I have noticed after installing Cad on rebooting that there is a quick command prompt (DOS) issue that indicates what I think is SCSI error but it flashes too fast to catch what it says.

I've reviewed the boot log files and there does seem to be some windows files that either aren't loading or causing some errors. "Superfetch" file does not seem to be loading and several kernal errors on boot / reboot.

I have installed / re-installed both AutoCad 32bit and 64 bit 3 times each; reinstalled Windows 7 twice and Parallels twice - all with the same result. Windows programs that have been working fine to date are; MS Office (Project and Viso); Bluebeam Pdf Revu, Word, Excel etc.

Plan on trying the previous post recommending updating AutoCad DURING the install process to see how that impacts things. I'll post my results as I troubleshoot this issue.

ADDED NOTE: My buddy has the EXACT same system and has managed to get Autocad working pretty much flawlessly; in full screen mode only - but it does work.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  16. skeedatl

skeedatl Member

Possible fix, change Start In folder

For all 3 of my machines, Autocad LT 2010's default start in directory was a usercache folder. I took off the usercache part leaving only "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2010\" and suddenly it works fine. This is done by right clicking the ACAD shortcut. As a test try launching acadlt.exe directly from the folder.

This this change fixed all 3 of my Parallels 5 ACAD installs.

17. AnneA

AnneA Bit poster

Same problem

Ugg! I'm having the same exact problems as everyone else and its driving me crazy. I have a brand new imac 3.06 GHz with 4 MB of memory and just bought and installed Parallels Desktop 5 with windows Vista. I am able to install autocad 2010 32 bit but it takes absolutely forever to open and between commands rendering it basically useless.

I have already tried uninstalling it then reinstalling it with a custom installation where I downloaded some new files but nothing has changed. I will check back often hoping that someone more computer savvy than I am has figured out a solution (or that Parallels and or Autodesk will send a fix).

18. AnneA

AnneA Bit poster

Fixed

Hi All,

I think I've solved the problem. I uninstalled Parallels & AutoCAD then activated BootCamp allocating 32 MB to it's partition then reinstalled parallels giving it half my harddrive capacity then reinstalled AutoCAD using gdpasteur's recommendation of a custom configuration on the installation. I found there was one package to download and install. I am now able to use autoCAD as if it were native to my mac and couldn't be happier.

19. JesusZ

JesusZ Bit poster

Found an easy solution:
    Start Autocad directly from the application folder, located in Computer/ C: / Program Files / Autocad 2010 and double click on the acad aplication file , to make a shortcut click on the dock icon and select keep on the dock so you dont have to repat all the clicking to get to the app.

Im running leopard on a late 2008 imac with 4 gb of ram hope it works for all of you

20. cadwiz

cadwiz Bit poster

Simple Solution

I'm running a MBP 2.26 with 4GB ram - Parallels 5 -Win 7 (x64) ALL brand new with with fresh installs. I was so disappointed when autocad 2010 would 20 min to load. I tried all before mentioned solutions with no luck.

Until a read a post with this suggestion:

Right click on Acad 2010 icon & go to properties. Under Start in remove the \User Cache\ portion of the path.
    So that it reads like this:

"C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2010\"

Then click OK. That's it!

I couldn't believe it this works like a charm.