Tools Installation with Ubuntu Desktop 8.04.1 Virtual Appliance

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Olaf Meding, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Olaf Meding

Olaf Meding Junior Member

What can I do to get the tools to work?

I downloaded the Ubuntu "Desktop 8.04.1" from http://www.parallels.com/ptn/download/va/?va_id=228.

I then installed the tools this way:
    started ubuntu
    selected Virtual Machine > Install Parallels Tools
    (this only mounted a CD drive)
    opened a terminal
    su
    sh /media/cdrom0/install
    (this appeared to install the tools)

But now I get a much smaller window for ubuntu (low graphics mode) and the tools don't appear to be installed at all (still reads "Press Ctrl-Alt to release the mouse ...").

I use OS X 10.6.2 with all updates installed and Parallels Desktop 5.0.9220.

Many thanks for your help.
    Olaf

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Hello Olaf,

there could be some minor compatibility problems with Parallels Desktop 5 and virtual appliances, as many of them were initially published for Parallels Desktop 3. We will check this one. In the meantime, i would suggest you to download an installation ISO image from Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download and perform a clean installation - download will not take much time and you will have a clean virtual machine in a couple of minutes.

Regards,
    Max

3. Olaf Meding

Olaf Meding Junior Member

> there could be some minor compatibility problems with Parallels Desktop 5 and virtual appliances

Could be? Why waste everybody time and make false claims (page 108 of the Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac User Manual on "Downloading Parallels Virtual Appliances")? I expect the virtual appliances on the Parallels web site to work! Else remove the ones that do not work, please!

> i would suggest you to download an installation ISO image from Ubuntu

The link you give is for the latest version of ubuntu (version 9.10). However my understanding is that this version is not (yet?) supported and there are several posts describing problem with the latest version of ubuntu.

In any case I do appreciate your response. Thank you.

Olaf

4. Freddy Bee

Freddy Bee Bit poster

I am having exactly the same experience trying to install Parallels Tools in version 5 on an Ubuntu 8.4.0.1 Virtual Appliance.

However I had been using this appliance in Parallels 4 and even though I cannot upgrade the tools, most of the functionality is still there from the version 4 tools (my windows resize, I can share Mac folders, mouse does not have to be manually released, etc.).

So while I hope Parallels will somehow fix the version 5 tools installer to work with this appliance, I can suggest the following workaround: redownload the Ubuntu virtual appliance and also install Parallels version 4 on another Mac. Install Parallels tools within version 4, and then import the upgraded VM into your version 5.

Max - what do you think of this?