Parallels kills desktop files --- forever

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by cdun, Dec 15, 2009.

1. cdun

cdun Bit poster

Just wanted to post a shocking experience I had today.
    I am just starting a new contract, so new machine, etc...
    I had been working this week of of the desktop, as I had not yet organized my files for proper archival
    I downloaded the trial version of Parallels and installed Windows XP

Once up and running I noticed that Parallels had "copied" the files from OSX/Desktop to my Windows/Desktop. I assumed that this was some check box I missed during installation, etc...

I grabbed the files on the Windows/Desktop and pulled them into the Recycle Bin.

BAMMM..... these files were all deleted off of my machine entirely.... both from OSX and from Windows....
    I did not empty the Recycle Bin.
    They are gone... not in the Windows Recycle Bin, not in my OSX Trash.... like gone

How is this even possible???

2. aa.

aa. Member

This feature is called Sharing Profile and it's enabled by default. When this feature is ON all files are shared (not copied) via virtual "network storage". So when you create a new file on your desktop, it automatically appears in Mac and in Windows. And yes, when you delete it, it is deleted permanently. The Parallels Desktop Users Guide says about it (see page 159).

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide.pdf

3. MrLynn

MrLynn Member

By DEFAULT??!!

Is the Sharing Profile on by default in Parallels 5? I don't believe it was in my Parallels 4. It certainly isn't now. And that's a good thing.

Your assumption seems to be that users want to completely integrate their Windows VMs with their Macs. Did you take a survey? I want them SEPARATE. I never use 'Coherence'. I like having a Windows machine on my Mac, so I don't need a separate box on my desk, but mixing up the two operating systems and interfaces is like taking your scuba gear to the desert—they don't belong together!

This dreadful default makes me glad I haven't upgraded to Parallels 5. And I'm not sure I'm going to. I wonder if the Fusion people are making the same effort to mash the two different OSes into one unappetizing stew. . .

/Mr Lynn

4. aa.

aa. Member

BTW, this problem is actual for WinXP VM only. In Windows Vista (or Windows 7) files will be moved to the Recycled Bin and you'll be able to restore them.

5. cdun

cdun Bit poster

Can you elaborate on how it Parallels accomplishes this?
    Does it basically make an 'rm' unix call to permanently delete the file?

6. cdun

cdun Bit poster

And just to save others from immense pain.... placing a file onto the Parallels Windows desktop, also places that file on your mac desktop, but if you move that file on your mac desktop to the mac trash, the file is still (or appears to be) residing on the Windows desktop.
    And make note ---- the default icons on the Windows desktop (Windows XP, My Computer) are aliases, EXCEPT for the Trash Bin.

I understand what Parallels is trying to do from a functional standpoint which is fine...

7. aa.

aa. Member

Imagine you mounted some folder on a samba server with read-write access. When you delete files from that server, they will be deleted permanently, because to put it to your local Recycled Bin your 'delete' programm need to donwload it first, and then move to local Recycled Bin.

AFAIK something similar happens when you delete files on Windows XP desktop, actually you delete files on remote (MacOS) network share...

8. cdun

cdun Bit poster

Thanks for the explanation... that makes sense. But from a user perspective that is not obvious. You might want to reconsider that one.