Printing in MAC OS while Parallels is running

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Jay Newirth, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Jay Newirth

Jay Newirth Bit poster

Has anyone had this problem?

1. Can print documents to my printer in the MAC OS side
    2. Can print documents to my printer in the GUEST OS side (Windows XP Professional)

3. However if I have Parallels Desktop running and switch back to the MAC OS side and try to print any documents the documents are placed "on hold" and DO NOT print.

4. If I go back and shut down Parallels Desktop ... the files "on hold" on the MAC side then print

How can I print documents on the MAC OS side while Parallels Desktop 5.0 is running at the same time

2. cpeterson

cpeterson Bit poster

Printing with your VM

Jay,
    There are a couple of ways to use your printer with both the Mac and your VM. Right now you have the printer attached to the VM. If you go to the menu bar with the VM running and go to Devices/USB you should see your printer there with a check mark next to it. Click on it to deselect and control of the printer will be returned to the Mac. You can reattach the printer to your VM in the same way. Also go to Parallels Desktop/Preferences/USB on the menu bar and if the printer is there in the permanent assignment box select it then hit the minus in the lower left hand corner and remove the assignment.

The Parallels help menu does a pretty good job of explaining your options for setting up your printer.