Official "Error loading operating system..." Thread (Boot Camp)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rainmanbk, Dec 22, 2006.

1. David Kelly

David Kelly Bit poster

Boot camp greyed Out

I still have bootcamp greyed out - vista installation.

I get this error:

You are trying to boot via virtual machine into the Boot Camp partition with operating system that is not supported by Parallels Desktop. Booting into this partition may result in data loss and partition being corrupted. Click to stop the virtual machine.

NTFS etc.. - is Vista just not supported?

2. bfoster

bfoster Bit poster

Just to add to this...

I have noticed that Parallels will not boot XP from Boot Camp if there is a CD in the drive or any other attached drives, (USB or Firewire). Once I eject everything it starts XP, but it says that it is installing the tools each time I boot.

This is using Parallels 3106, internal HD partitioned into 2 equal drives. (not using an external drive at all with XP)

3. jreep

jreep Bit poster

BSOD also

I tried installing the Parallels Tools from a CD burned from the vmtools.iso image in /Library/Parallels/Tools. It Auto-ran and installed the tools when I inserted the disk after booting into Windows (boot camp). But I still get the BSOD when trying to use the bootcamp partition on the Mac side.

MBP 1.8ghz, 1.5gb ram

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  4. epkphoto

epkphoto Junior Member

For the record, the error loading operating system issue still occurs in the 2120 RC1 beta.

5. Narflar

Narflar Bit poster

Well, it's not just XP installed on seperate drive. I am getting the same error with the partition on my main (only) drive. So even with parallels sharing the same drive as XP I'm having the same issue.

Somehow I get the feeling that Apple's high end machine is treated like a red headed step child.:mad:

Here is the screenshot of the BSOD when trying to load XP via Parallels b3120

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  6. Mandrax

Mandrax Bit poster

I get the same error with my MacPro & bootcamp on a second 80Go Hard drive especially for Windows.

But there is something that i noticed, during the startup of parallels i can hear my second hard drive working...

7. jham65

jham65 Bit poster

ELOS error

I am also having the same issue with a single hard drive partition. This is with a clean install of the latest Parallels and using a working Boot Camp partition.

1.83 iMac
    1.5 GB RAM
    no external drives attached or CD/DVD's installed.
    I also tried copying and renaming the driver.cab with no success in booting.

8. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Bit poster

Same here on Mac Pro. Trying with latest Parallels Build. OSX and XP on single drive. XP has been installed on NTFS formatted partition.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  9. epkphoto

epkphoto Junior Member

It would be nice to hear something official from Parallels on this one. A simple, "we know and we're working on it" would be nice.

10. hagen

hagen Junior Member

I think I may have a multipartion set-up in XP.

Even though I've only got 1 line in my boot.ini file, it has windows.0 as it's target and sure enough, my windows folder is named windows.0.

Doh. And I don't want to go with the standard windows troubleshooting technique of "re-install".

So ve vate. I guess I'll have to wait for Parallels to support multi-partitions. Oh well.

hagen

11. orija

orija Bit poster

so is the *official* Parallels solution to the "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp" error the drivers.cab into sp2.cab hack???? or...?
    i am surprised they haven't said anything about this issue.

12. defender1844

defender1844 Bit poster

The sp2 hack changed the error message but still did not fix the problem. Come on guys, say something.

Amit

13. sharkez

sharkez Member

Not sure if this is the same but I just had a Mac OS crash while starting up a boot camp partition that had worked fine. I had just restarted the Mac Os after booting into BC and attempting to join (unsuccessfully) my work wireless network. Went back into Mac OS and started parallels bootcamp partition, put in one password but it crashed on a SBOD before asking a second time. Upon reboot to Mac OS and re-attempt to run the bootcamp partition in parallels I am asked only once for my password then I get an error in the windows boot window:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

HELP!

14. Ishtumba

Ishtumba Bit poster

Same problem.. Mac Pro using Boot Camp on secondary drive.

15. esquilo22

esquilo22 Junior Member

Same problem here. After succesfully installing my boot camp partition from a Windows XP slipstreamed Install CD with all Apple Drivers and MS Security Updates until Jan/07 I can't boot this partition from parallels.

Get the attached BSOD. Same one above in the post.

Attached Files:

16. teejaytee

teejaytee Bit poster

Agreed. Bought Parallels and it is unusable on my config (Mac Pro + BootCamp + XP SP2 on a secondary drive, like everyone else here).

17. esquilo22

esquilo22 Junior Member

18. epkphoto

epkphoto Junior Member

I think it is worth noting that this thread was started specifically for the "Error loading operating system..." notice that comes up before Windows begins to boot. From what I have seen, this error is a separate issue from the other errors and BSODs people have also been mentioning in this thread.

It is good to hear that you got a response from Parallels for another issue, though. Perhaps that means a response to this issue will not be too far off.

19. d00d

d00d Bit poster

Same here

I really can't believe they haven't resolved this ELOS problem yet. How can they possibly call it a release candidate? It's a complete joke.

20. Peet

Peet Bit poster

Still busted. Every single seed of this beta - no joy. Trying to boot from bootcamp that is located on a seperate drive. "Error loading operating system"