Windows 7 Startup Repair When Configuring Parallels for the First Time

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tdcool, Nov 21, 2009.

1. WindyP

WindyP Bit poster

@JEikenberry or @Kila Ok, sorry for the noob question but I can easily see how I adjust the parallels ram of the VM under Configure -> General. But how do I change Windows 7 to only use 1gb ram? Are you guys referring to page file? Please let me know, thanks!

2. Krib

Krib Bit poster

Count me in for the Macdrive solution here.

Now that I *have* Win7 running, I've installed TinyXP for that, and it loads in 20 seconds.

3. dfwilson

dfwilson Bit poster

Also bummed

It doesn't work, I've tweaked everything,

I guess I'll try MacDrive, but still I hope Parallels gets on this and Win 7 works so well in BootCamp.

4. ErikP

ErikP Bit poster

I am having the same issue even when I increase RAM setting

I would love to use the boot camp partition but I keep running into this problem

5. PerB

PerB Bit poster

Getting real tired of Parallels,...with somewhat of love....

I have had this particular thread problem now with my iMac quadCore i7, 8GB, 1TB for a couple of days. I try the solutions you suggest and no luck so far. Will try different solutions and mixes of VM RAM and CPUs until it succeeds I guess.

My big problem is this; the last version of Parallels (ver 4) had other issues when it first came out. I don't know how many hours I spent installing and re-installing both Parallels and my Vista Boot Camp partition for it to eventually work (different HW configurations in VM and BC I assume).

/Per

6. Mark Balducci

Mark Balducci Bit poster

ok the problem lies with bootcamp's support to read and write hfs partitions in windows. the latest version of bootcamp lets you read and write to your mac's partition - macdrive provides the same functionality, it actiually replaces bootcamps driver for the mac partition, which is why most people are finding success after installing macdrive, however uninstalling macdrive allows bootcamps driver to run and cause parallels to get stuck - the quick solution is to boot up with bootcamp, uninstall the Bootcamp Services from the uninstall a program option in control panels.

7. Mark Balducci

Mark Balducci Bit poster

the exact problem is with applemnt.sys - which is what bootcamp uses to mount the apple hard drive to windows

8. DHJV

DHJV Bit poster

I experienced the same problem as well: First install of Parallels Desktop 5 resulted in repeated "startup repair" errors.

I'm using Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Parallels 5 (latest build) on an iMac 27" i7 quad core with 8 Gb of RAM and the HD 4850 512 Mb video card. I have Windows 7 working under bootcamp and was trying to install a Parallels VM from that bootcamp install.

I can confirm that changing the amount of RAM AND installing MacDrive 8 (latest build) solved the problem. Apparently there is a problem reading a Mac partitioned file from within the VM, which is solved by installing MacDrive.

9. Mark Balducci

Mark Balducci Bit poster

DHJV - installing macdrive 8 removes apple's applemnt.sys so of course it will work! - but we dont all want to go out and buy macdrive.. if you uninstall macdrive you will find yourself back with the problem of not being able to use parallels 5 with that bootcamp partition.

10. PerB

PerB Bit poster

please help...

I have the same HW/SW configuration as "DHJV", but I cannot for the life of me get past the Startup repair situation. Have installed MacDrive, have de-installed Bootcamp on Win7 even, have tweaked the RAM settings in suggested and unsuggested ways.

Now, I haven't activated Win 7 in Bootcamp because I know I probably have to do that a couple of times when I finally get into the VM and start switch between booting in Parallels and Bootcamp. That happened when Parallels 4 came out. Could that (non activated Win/) have anything to do with it (support hasn't asked that question)? Any other questions I need to be asked/need to ask in order to find the problem.

/PerB

11. Mark Balducci

Mark Balducci Bit poster

have you tried booting into bootcamp, removing macdrive and removing bootcamp then try parallels 5? i think there may be something left behind from bootcamp.

12. PerB

PerB Bit poster

Mark,

Right now you are the most lovable man on earth,...an I am not even gay!! That did it. For some reason it worked this time. No Boot Camp tools in Windows, no MacDrive, and it worked. I have got a working Parallels 5 Boot Camp Win 7 Home Premium working after two extremely frustrating weeks.

Not sure why they call you "Junior Member" but I'd say you're up for a promotion, BIG TIME!!

Thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas,

/Per

13. sirdir

sirdir Junior Member

So strange. Renaming AppleMNT.sys solves the problem for sure.
    But why does this only happen on the new iMacs? On my old 24" it works just fine, on the new 27" (i7) it doesn't(without renaming that driver).
    Replacing the file with the one from the 24" iMac doesn't help either...

14. NotBill

NotBill Member

... being configured... looping

I upgraded from pd4 to pd5 so I would be able to run win7 in a vm on my mac presuming that pd5 supported win7 w/o issue.

I transport, using v5 of the transporter, the win7 machine to an external hdd. I moved that hdd to the mac, copied the pvm to a folder and try to open it with pd5.

Please wait wile the virtual machine is being configured...
    (step 1 of 4)

fails

parallels tools are not installed.

now windows repair is running. so I can't start the install manually, as suggested. if I follw along, the vm restarts and we end up right back here. if I try choosing a repair option, the only thing that won't destroy the current vm is command prompt. you can't run the pd tools setup exe from command prompt.

I've saved the verbose output of the loop here:
    http://www.easytospell.com/parallels/2009-12-20 looping parallels.log.zip

the most interesting part is here, where mounting of the iso fails:

20:35:45.790 F /gui:445:207/ Call install tools.
    20:35:45.790 F /gui:445:207/ GUI issues install tools command for VM (silent=1)
    20:35:45.791 F /gui:445:207/ localhost: sending [DspCmdVmInstallTools] request for VM {d869b7fc-2ef9-4fd5-a7fd-718711d116e8} [Windows 7] ...
    20:35:45.821 F /gui:445:207/ localhost: received PET_DSP_EVT_VM_DEV_STATE_CHANGED. [CD/DVD 0: Disconnected, Image File]
    20:35:47.312 F /gui:445:207/ localhost: received PET_DSP_EVT_VM_DEV_STATE_CHANGED. [CD/DVD 0: Connected, Image File]
    20:35:47.313 F /gui:445:207/ localhost: received result for [DspCmdVmInstallTools]. RC = [PRL_ERR_SUCCESS]
    20:36:53.295 F /gui:445:207/ Init timeout...
    20:36:53.311 F /gui:445:207/ Init timeout. Abort.
    20:36:53.312 W /gui:445:207/
    Message info dump:
    >> Object id = {a7608901-9087-4aba-91dd-278dd858d33e}
    >> Issuer id = {d869b7fc-2ef9-4fd5-a7fd-718711d116e8}
    >> Code = GUI_ERR_VM_HW_UPGRADE_VMXPHY_INIT_TIMEOUT
    >> Type = Critical
    >> Short Message = "You need to manually continue the process of configuring the "Windows 7" virtual machine."
    >> Long Message = "To continue with the configuration, log in to your Windows virtual machine. If you have the CD autorun option enabled, the configuration will resume automatically. Otherwise, open My Computer and run the setup.exe file located on your CD, ignoring any Windows messages. For more information on configuring your virtual machines, <a href="http://www.parallels.com/support/pdfm5-reconfiguration-en_US">visit the configuration page</a> on the Parallels website."
    >> Details = ""
    >> Spontanous = 0
    >> Can be hidden = 0
    >> Force show = 0
    >> Use active = 0
    >> Event handle = 0
    >> Answers: [OK] [] []
    >> Default button number: 1
    ..>> Message hint: 0x0
    20:36:53.313 F [MESSAGE_MNG] /gui:445:207/ Showing message box. Type = [Critical, GUI_ERR_VM_HW_UPGRADE_VMXPHY_INIT_TIMEOUT]. Id = {d869b7fc-2ef9-4fd5-a7fd-718711d116e8}

unless there is a way to install the tools from what amounts to safe mode command prompt, I see no way to fix this on my own.

I have already reduced the win7 vm to 1 gig ram (from 2) and one cpu. vid is set to 256. optimization is set: unchecked hypervisor, unchecked tune for speed. pd5 has been set for auto ram to 2 gigs ram. nothing I do seems to allow the iso to mount and run.

the computer I transported is a 6 hour one way drive from here, which would be a faster round trip, including the 2 hours to retransport to an external hdd, that transferring 90 gigs over the net.

Ideas?

15. NotBill

NotBill Member

16. TravisS

TravisS Bit poster

i have a 27" iMac with an i5 processor, 8GB or Ram, and of course Snow Leopard. I successfully installed Windows 7 (64 bit) using Boot camp using the secondary monitor trick. Now Windows 7 is working great in boot camp and I didn't even have to insert my Snow Leopard disc to install any drivers.

Now when I tried using Parallels with Windows 7 and the boot camp partition, I got the same message you guys got (repair, etc) and it hung. On a second try, however, it actually went though and finished installing. However, I am getting VERY slow hard drive access in my Windows 7 virtual machine. The VM has plenty of RAM (4 GB allocated) and once a program loads, it runs great. For example, I can run a game that takes FOREVER to load but once it is loaded, it runs very fast. So I know it's a hard drive bottleneck of some sort.

I also have Macfuse and Paragon NTFS installed on my Mac so I was wondering if one of those might be causing a problem? I do NOT have any Boot Camp tools or MacDrive stuff installed in Windows (I looked under Remove Programs).

Any idea what would be causing this slow HD access or what to try to fix it?

17. FelixH

FelixH Bit poster

Can you elaborate on this in more detail? I have also renamed the file to AppleMNT.sy_ but this did not solve the problem.

18. HellerK

HellerK Junior Member

Hi!

Any news on this problem ?

I installed the new Boot Camp 3.1 - but no change - still the repair screen appearing :-(

I do not want to buy MacDrive because I have no idea what else these program will chang in the background.

Please - Parallels -Team - help !

Best regards
    Gregor

19. HellerK

HellerK Junior Member

hmmm ... am I the onliest now with this problem ?

Before the release of Boot Camp 3.1 ( the official support for Win7 through Apple ) Parallels have told that the problem is because Win7 is not officially supported through Apple.

But now .. no excuse any longer possible trough Parallels ....

I paid the full price for Parallels 5.0 and I want that to use it - please Parallels-Team ... help.

It would be a help when you could say that you´re working on that problem ... :)

Best regards
    Gregor

20. NotBill

NotBill Member

now trying with 9310. same thing. log attached.

Attached Files: