Before installing 5, don't want to lose files from 3

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SethH, Dec 19, 2009.

1. SethH

SethH Bit poster

I've had Parallels 3 for a few years and am very happy with it. I made a big mistake and bought Parallels 5 and downloaded it. Before I install it, I want to make sure I don't lose my files in Parallels 3. I'm worried because Parallels 5 says it will remove Parallels 3.
    Well, I've spend about 3 hours trying to get an answer to this simple question, and have gotten nowhere with Parallels. Their chat is too busy to answer, I can't ask them a question without knowing the "build number" (which I can't get until I install Parallels 5 which I'm afraid to do, etc. Their customer support is the worst I have ever seen in my decades of buying computer programs.
    So, if anyone know the answer to this question, "How do I keep my files from Parallels 3," I will be very grateful.

2. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Hello SethH,

Please do not worry about the files which are in Parallels Desktop version 3.

It will be perfectly safe even if you uninstall Parallels Desktop version 3 and install version 5.

It will only remove the application Parallels and not the Windows. The same Windows will be carried forward with Parallels version 5 along with all your files.

Also while converting, it will also ask you to make a backup of the version 3 hard disk in the original state.

So it is perfectly safe to go ahead and do the conversion of version 3 to version 5.

Thank you.

3. papajack

papajack Bit poster

I've just upgraded from 3 to 5. After installation, the backup files are still in the folders. Should I delete this file? This folder takes up over 26 gigs.