prevent parallels from mounting idisk

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Frank42, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Frank42

Frank42 Bit poster

Hi,

I am running parallels 5 and windows xp sp3 on mac osx 10.6.2. Parallels insists on mounting my idisk twice. Once as "idisk" and once as "<username>". I don't want it mounting it at all.

I have gone into Configuration > Options > Share Folders and set "Share Mac Folders" to "None" and then explicitly added just the folders I want to the "User-defined folders list". But parallels insists on adding my idisk as described above.

In addition, it also is adding my FW800 connected backup drive even though I don't list it.

How do I prevent these from being mounted by Paralles?

For PTN support team, I have created a support ticket: 1462721

Thanks!

2. susan larsson

susan larsson Junior Member

i would like to see the answer to this as well. parallels 4 (on one machine) and 5 (on another) have access to everything on the mac side and i would like it to only have access to a couple of folders, as was the case with parallels 3.

3. sleepystu

sleepystu Bit poster

idisk & XP

Same here.

iDisk mounts twice as a mapped network drive (one for each found in the '/Volumes' folder in OS X - I believe one is for the sidebar; labelled 'iDisk', one for the desktop; labelled 'username'). This occurs despite turning off Shared Folders in the VM settings. I also tried disabling Network folders and Removable Drives under SmartMount settings.

This seems like a security problem in terms of access to drives that should not be openly available to any user. I think this should be a HIGH PRIORITY BUG FIX for security reasons alone, if nothing else.

PS. Everything else seems to run swimmingly with my configuration. I am otherwise very pleased with Parallels 5.

OS X 10.6.2, parallels 5.0.9308, Windows XP Home SP3.