Outlook as default email program for all Mac apps

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by stuarts24, Dec 21, 2009.

1. stuarts24

stuarts24 Bit poster

I have version 5 and need to know how, or if it is possible, to have any Mac application use Outlook in my VM as its email program. In otherwords, I want Outlook to the be default for everything both Mac and Win. I have it setup so that web links use Outlook but not when I am in an app and choose "Send Email" from the menu for example.

Thanks in advance.

2. petrovv

petrovv Member

Hello,
    there is a special feature in PD5 named Shared Internet Applications. You can find it in VM Configuration/Options/Internet Applications. Choose where you want to open links for each protocol. In your case you should set E-mail=Open in Windows. If doing so you get ability to open mailto links from your host apps in Outlook provided Outlook is set as default email program in guest. For example you have the following link in Textedit on you Mac: mailto://user@test.com - if you click on it Outlook will be opened and will be opened window for editing of a new mail to user@test.com

In short, this OS integration feature helps you to open links with the same internet applications, no matter to which system they belong. Note: this feature may not open Outlook in guest if you click on button 'Send email' in program which doesn't check what is you default mail program but just open Mail on host. The similar behavior is for links in your host browser (e.g. Safari) - the browser can open links itself so they are not be redirected to guest browser. Clear?

3. stuarts24

stuarts24 Bit poster

That is clear but not exactly what I was hoping for. I was really hoping for a way the make ANY Mac application use the VM's Outlook as it's default email program v. pulling up Entourage. Are there any other workarounds?

4. petrovv

petrovv Member

stuarts24, from what application do you want to open Outlook by clicking on 'Send e-mail'? I already said that