lost windows activation - help!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tomasr, Dec 16, 2009.

1. tomasr

tomasr Junior Member

I'm running a MacBook Pro with 10.6 OS.
    I created a Bootcamp partition, no problem.
    I installed Windows 7 in Bootcamp, no problem.
    I installed PD5, no problem.
    I pointed the new VM to the Bootcamp Windows 7, and it installed, no problem.
    For several weeks, both the Bootcamp W7 and the Parallels W7 worked fine, beautifully.

Now, each is telling me that my copy of W7 is counterfeit. Each refuses to recognize my activation code number. Each Windows will run, but with a nasty note on the screen, and it has several times now gone black-screen (which is correctable by resetting Windows Preferences)

Can someone tell me how to resolve this so as to
    a) be able to legally use W7 in Parallels
    AND/OR
    b) be able to legally use W7 in Boot Camp.

Does PD programming allow use of W7 in both BootCamp and Parallels, with one activation code?

All this happened a few days after the 30-day free support period with Parallels.

2. tomasr

tomasr Junior Member

Oh - one more detail that may be significant to MS: the Windows 7 OS was the cheapest kind (about $100.) - for install in a new machine, and came with no support from MS, as I understood the label. So I'm wondering if they will help me at all.

Does anyone know if I do a fresh install of Win7 in Boot Camp, after deleting the Parallels VM, will it install with the original activation number (which it currently is refusing)?

3. Alex M

Alex M Bit poster

Have this exact same problem

Worked for weeks, now it chokes. I think a recent update from M$ on the genuine notification may have been way way way too restrictive. Now I don't know what to do. I have Win 7 Ultimate, so it's definitely not caused by having a cheaper version of Windows. Gotta love how DRM yet again intrudes on legitimate software use.

If anyone knows how to get it working on both I'd appreciate it, as it worked fine for weeks, then just last week I started getting these messages on both the parallels and the bootcamp side.

4. DJRobX

DJRobX Bit poster

I read about someone having this problem because one the "Software Protection" service under Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services became disabled. Once he re-enabled it, it all went back to normal.

It's also possible someone stole your key and Microsoft deactivated it.

Call Microsoft.

-- Rob

5. tomasr

tomasr Junior Member

Hi Rob -

Thanks for the possibility - I checked that Windows verification in the Control Panel - mine is set to "automatic - start delayed" and it is still "delayed" since MS reset the activation. So I won't know if this new activation will remain valid after MS checks with their verification. I'm afraid they will see the Boot Camp as one machine and the Parallels as a second machine, and I'll get cut off again. But we will see.

Is there a way to get a real person at MS? I got a computer when I did the re-activation by phone.

tomasr