Deleted all my desktop files (permanently?)

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by parallels_, Dec 29, 2008.

1. parallels_

parallels_ Bit poster

I was on parallels with the window open, and deleted most of the desktop windows files. I thought this would only delete the windows copy and not the mac copy, but now most of my mac desktop files are gone. There is no apparent way to reverse this, both windows and mac recycling bins are empty. help

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. mydanes

mydanes Member

Do you run 'Time Machine' this tool can recover anything like that which you inadvertently deleted.

Good luck. If you do NOT run Time Machine I strongly recommend it. You do not even need to have the 'Mac' time capsule - any USB hard drive will work just as well! I run a 1TB maxtor and a 750GB Maxtor One Touch IV Plus for my time machine backups (I do disable my Parallels Virtual Machines from being backed up as I utilize Snapshots and have a static copy of my baseline OS')

3. parallels_

parallels_ Bit poster

thanks I will be setting up time machine

I did a search using spotlight an was able to recover some files. I typed in the names of some missing files that I could remember and spotlight found them buried deep somewhere. So all is well and I will be a lot more careful next time.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Also in your case you have Shared Profile, which means that most of folders are the same in Windows and Mac
    Please be careful, also you can disable Shared Profile from Configure -Share Profile

5. Dan M.

Dan M. Bit poster

I too have this problem of deleted files

I am having this problem right now and don't understand how this happened. Upon installing the 4.0 upgrade certain Mac desktop items were showing up on the Parallels desktop, it looked like it had brought them in so I dropped them into the recycle bin. They immediately deleted from my mac desktop. They were not in the Recycle bin either. How is this possible?

6. John@Parallels

This is Shared Profile, if you are deleting them from Windows holding Shift key they will be deleted without Recycle Bin

7. Dan M.

Dan M. Bit poster

I understand but let me back up. What I am finding is that when in the virtual machine, dragging a file that resides on both desktops to the windows trash, the system does not put the deleted file in either the windows recycle bin nor the mac trash. The file is completely deleted. I could understand if I was holding the shift key down why this would happen but this does not seem like the proper thing to happen when just doing a basic drop in the recycle bin. If this is an issue, then the first time that a user goes to drop a file in the Recycle bin, Parallels should show a warning that in this new system the simple act of putting a file in the bin will result in permanent loss of the file. Is there a fix to this issue. I have currently turned off sharing which seems to remove one of the needs to upgrade to 4.0 in the first place.

Thanks

8. tinameazell

tinameazell Bit poster

Same thing

I just spoke with a parallels tech who told me to delete my virtual machines as I couldn't get WIndows XP installed. When I did this my ENTIRE desktop was deleted. I am not running TIme Machine. I have been able to locate some files, but they are all over the place. Can someone please give me a fix?

9. John@Parallels

Desktop files may only deleted in case, if VM is running
    in your case I think it is Mac OS corruption for file system,
    I suppose you found that Desktop files are missed after Mac OS restart

10. cdun

cdun Bit poster

Hey John... can you clarify your previous post? It doesn't make sense.
    I just want to second the experience that others have posted in this thread.
    1- Install Parallels
    2 - OSX/desktop files "appear to be copied" to Windows/desktop (especially if you have used emulation products in the past)
    3 - drag a Windows/desktop file to the RecycleBin and BAMMM...... gone... from both Windows and OSX.

11. GlynD

GlynD Junior Member

If you use the default 'shared profiles' setup then the icons and files on the Windows desktop ARE THE SAME ONES as on your Mac desktop.

Because it is set up as a network environment - think of Parallels as a second machine sat on the desk next to the Mac - then any delete commands are instant. You can't drag a networked file into a local recycle bin as it's not really there: it's on the other machine (in this case a virtual one). The default action is to remove it from the host machine. If you don't have a backup or some kind of application to prevent deletions then that's the end of your file.

The first thing I do with Parallels is make sure I don't have shared profiles. I have the Mac as my Y: drive, with Windows shortcuts to the folders. Never had a problem. I can still store all my files in the Mac space, which means Time Machine will pick them up.

12. Theresa AnderssonA

Theresa AnderssonA Bit poster

Re:

parallels_.......if you had still not recovered your files you need to go a recommended recovery tool like Stellar Phoenix Mac Recovery software for Mac OS X or PC version.The software will help you in recovering your recycling bins deleted data or any other accidentally deleted files,infact you can use the free demo version first which on preview can show you the recoverable files then go for full donwload.

13. SiC

SiC Bit poster

How about integrating a waring dialouge box?

How about integrating a waring dialogue box before deleting files permanently?
    This seems like a simple piece of functionality to include to save time, money and heartache.

Personally I can't understand why this wasn't done? It's too way easy to trash files like this thinking that they were simply being trashed from windows and then finding out all of your osx files are also gone.

14. MerylS

MerylS Junior Member

I think, if you're deleting them from Windows holding Shift key they're going to be deleted while not Recycle Bin.

15. peter_read

peter_read Junior Member

2017 Just had ths same problem usually deleting removes to recycling bin ,not unretreavably delete even with undelete software ,had duplicate desktop files in window accounts and deleted the wrong one and removed everything on mac desktop as well
    well it certainly looks as if nobody is listening at parallels considering how long this has been a issue , says something about the company

16. peter_read

peter_read Junior Member

Doesn't work tried it, to late, to find nothing