Very Slow Startup for Parallels 5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rmansfield, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Jeff Tarver

Jeff Tarver Bit poster

Problem not fixed as claimed by Parallels...

I tried several work arounds but the problem still exists. The only way to have a reasonably fast startup with to disable Spotlight. This is just unacceptable. Spotlight is a great feature that I use a lot - when it is not disabled. When will you fix this problem Parallels????

2. Ephra

Ephra Member

update solves it!

Yep, count me in: all probs gone!
    -no bouncing anymore
    -no beachball anymore
    -no slowness anymore

great work! thank you

3. Ephra

Ephra Member

oops..I was too fast unfortunately, after rebooting:
    -bouncing is there again like 30 times
    -beachball: hello to you too
    the VM itself loads a bit faster.

4. Jeff Tarver

Jeff Tarver Bit poster

I have the same problem Ephra. It ran great the when the tools installed the first time, but the next boot I was back with a slow startup again. I was hoping it was fixed. To "fix" it myself I had to once again disable spotlight - that allows a fast start but is a bad workaround. Does anyone from Parallels have some thoughts on this??? Why no posts from "Support"?

5. Copilot

Copilot Member

Faster

My Parallels launches in about 4 bounces.
    Much faster than before.

6. Jeff Tarver

Jeff Tarver Bit poster

Disable Spotlight...

I get a fast start when I leave spotlight disabled. Has anyone enabled spotlight and then booted fast several times?

7. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

It's still just as slow as before, but now I can no longer enter Crystal mode.

8. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Same problem here. I have it on a mac pro and it takes a good 5 minutes to start up. Very slow compared to V4.

9. Ephra

Ephra Member

In my case disableing spotlight doen't change anything.
    When I start my mac fresh in the morning and start parallels for the first time, there is no bouncing and it loads smooth.
    But when I'n on the machine for a longer time and have firefox on for instance and shutdown parallels and launch it again, the bouncing -still like 23 to 30 times- and beachball is back.

10. stonal

stonal Bit poster

Interesting...

...to hear that the last update doesn't solve the problem.

I had a complaint to Parallels and wanted my money back. And it worked.

11. Kris G

Kris G Member

With spotlight disabled works fast and efficient, with spotlight enabled it is slow (however a bit faster than before). So I think the problem still exists and should not be called FIXED, because it is NOT

Kris

12. Peter Flinn

Peter Flinn Bit poster

V5 has been a very slow, Is there any news about this issue being resolved soon?

13. LawrenceD

LawrenceD Bit poster

Hi All, The upgrade release 9308 has not corrected the problems with slow startup for me. I also find that the menu options take a long time to load. I have logged a support request with all the system and app log files, my ticket number is 1800516. Parallels Team - based on the various threads with a similar topic I would have to assume that this is not isolated and needs to be addressed with urgency.

14. Allan Carr

Allan Carr Member

Where is the thread for slow Vista startup

Parallels 5 comes in fast on my iMac, bought last January) but Vista takes forever to load and, once it's loaded, programs like Quicken run slow (I'm afraid to try Photoshop or Encore). It was fast when I first upgraded and remains fast in bootcamp.
    Before someone tells me that this isn't the right thread, could anyone here tell me where the right thread is? Or point me to the place that indicates the fix?
    I never had any problems with Parallels 4 and, truthfully, haven't a clue why I should have to troubleshoot an upgrade. After all, isn't the only point of an upgrade superior, not degraded, performance? However, I would like to find the right place to start checking it out.

15. Stephen109

Stephen109 Bit poster

Respond

I sent my request in 3 days ago and they haven't responded to me.

16. hognutz

hognutz Bit poster

Unfortunately I'm dealing with the same problem. I've made the changes to Spotlight and it seems to help (so far). Still a bit slow on startup. So far I wish I would have stayed with 4. Sure would like a real fix.

MacBook Pro - Intel Core Duo - 2 GB - 10.6.2

17. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I turned off Spotlight on all my shared folders (which I keep in a separate directory) and that greatly improved performance when working with both Mac and PC at the same time. Odd. Kind of a bummer because I keep these folders shared precisely because I work with the files in them within both worlds... and not being able to easily find stuff in them on the Mac side is not so great. Maybe the slowdown is because both Mac and Windows are indexing these files...?

18. RossM

RossM Bit poster

S l o w

OS 10.6.2, 2.6Ghz, 2GB DDR2
    Not the most RAM in the world and intend to upgrade but Parallels 5 is a pig! everything is so slow.. like working on a PC! P5 was supposed to be faster but nooo waaay. What can I do to fix this.. other than ditching it and buying a PC

19. Peter Flinn

Peter Flinn Bit poster

Established a new record today: 10 minutes before any windows applications could be seen.

20. LawrenceD

LawrenceD Bit poster

I still havent heard from Parallels regarding my logged request to solve this. Has anyone else heard anything