Windows 7 Focus Issues (build 9308)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by nvrmore100, Dec 23, 2009.

1. nvrmore100

nvrmore100 Member

Hey folks,

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Since upgrading to 9308, when in crystal mode, Windows keeps taking focus, even if nothing is popping up on the desktop. It is quite annoying, as every minute or so, my windows desktop takes focus, and whatever I am working on within OSX goes to the background. No focus issues when in windowed mode.

This just started happening since the update. I have done the following:

- Reinstalled parallels tools
    - Disabled "bring notification windows to front" in VM config
    - Rebooted the VM multiple times
    - Rebooted my mac once

Config:

- SL 10.6.2
    - Parallels 9308
    - Windows 7 64 bit home premium edition

Thanks!

2. nvrmore100

nvrmore100 Member

Just an update, I have confirmed this is happening in Coherence also (not just Crystal).

3. JeffL

JeffL Bit poster

I think I am seeing something similiar. I haven't had Windows jump completely to the foreground, but I have seen Windows apps move in front of other Mac apps without me doing anything.

4. Gene Mak

Gene Mak Bit poster

I've seen the same thing. This seems to be a Windows 7 ONLY issues as I have both an XP and a Windows 7 VM. The XP machine is still fine, but the Windows 7 VM will take focus from both the MAC side and the XP VM. This has happened only with te 9308 upgrade.

Parallels, help?

5. bruss147

bruss147 Bit poster

Same for me. My Windows 7 VM frequently takes focus while I'm in the middle of typing or doing something in my Mac apps. Extremely annoying. I end up having to close Parallels so I can continue working. Then I have to wait forever while it resumes Windows 7 so I can continue work that requires Windows.

6. AWM

AWM Bit poster

I have this problem as well. It doesn't seem to fully take the focus, but rather whatever Windows application is running will place itself in front of all the other windows are open. Basically, it inserts itself behind whatever window I'm actively working in. I don't know if it's relevant, but this has been happening with MS Office 2003.

7. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

8. andrey.hamster

andrey.hamster Bit poster

I got the same thing going on. Not even sure how to phrase the search in google. The most annoying part is that it switched to foreground while I was typing this. Obviously, when the window you type in is out of focus your typing does now appear. I frequently find myself typing a paragraph only to realize that I lost focus to my window.

9. TrevorD

TrevorD Bit poster

This issue is happening to me as well. One other interesting thing is that right as this happens, you can see the very top of the Windows task bar pop its head up for a split second on the bottom of the screen. But it is very annoying if, say for example, you are dragging an item from one folder in the Finder to another, and it decides to take that moment to move IE, for example, to the front. Now you have to drop the item back, get rid of the IE window, and then try it again. It is very annoying and almost makes me wish I did not buy parallels for christmas (This did not happen in the evaluation version I used before the update).

Using Parallels 5.0.9308 in Crystal mode running Windows 7.

10. andrey.hamster

andrey.hamster Bit poster

I found a work around in another post on this forum. In the VM preferences you need to turn off "bring notification windows to the front". I'm suspecting that is a result of windows trying to tell us that it has no internet connection or somthing. I noticed that my Win7 does not detect that it has an internet connection even though I can access internet from Win7.
    That fixed that annoyance for me.

11. jrswinehart

jrswinehart Bit poster

The work around didn't work for me at least. I disabled the "bring notification windows to the front" but Taskbar still pops up for a split second and all apps are brought to the front.

12. TrevorD

TrevorD Bit poster

Actually, that option is turned off. I do remember a similar thing happening with this option turned on before the patch. However, this option seems to make no difference anymore whether it is checked or not.

On the other hand I do want windows alerts to "come to the front" or front-ish like mac alerts do (show up but do not change focus).

13. Ian h

Ian h Bit poster

Hi.
    Hey mate thanks for sharing this post.
    Its really useful.

14. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi,
    we are currently checking the issue. Some users report that for current Windows session (until restart) disabling Autohide in Windows Taskbar's Properties helps.

15. wayyomer

wayyomer Bit poster

Hi,
    I am having the same problem since I upgraded to 9310. I am running Windows 7 ultimate.
    It bothers me a lot...
    I-che's suggestion to disable Autohide in Windows Taskbar seems to work for me.
    However, after disabling Autohide, any Windows application window cannot stretch all the way down to the bottom of your screen. It can only go as far as above the (ghost) taskbar. This still bothers me.
    Quick solution from Parallels is to be expected.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  16. LesM

LesM Bit poster

Disabling "auto-hide taskbar" doesn't solve the problem

On my machine (Parallels build 9310) disabling auto-hide on the Windows task bar does not solve the problem -- any time I choose a Windows app as foreground, all Windows apps are promoted in the Z-order so they hide Mac apps.

Free beer to the developer who solves this one! :)

17. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi LesM,

Not bad. Beer is a good stimulus. Could you please send me the Report. Just select "Report a Problem" in the Help menu and click Send. Write here the report number.

Alexander

18. ConioS

ConioS Bit poster

Is there an solution to the original question in this thread. It is really annoying losing focus every 30 seconds or so.

19. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi ConioS,
    Parallels is aware of it and is working on the issue. No exact time estimation when the fix is available.

20. Pablo Solórzano

Pablo Solórzano Bit poster

I have the same problem! it's annoying! how are we gonna be notified when the problem is solved? or how can I downgrade the version?? I did not pay to have troubles!!