Copy virtual disk image to Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mike3k, Jan 17, 2007.

1. mike3k

mike3k Member

Is there any way to clone a working XP installation in a virtual disk image to my boot camp partition?

2. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

No, you can't transport Parallels VM to Boot Camp partition.

3. twynne

twynne Hunter

I asked the same question about a month ago (and unfortunately didn't receive a response), but thinking further about it surely you could use a 'disk image' package like DriveImage or Ghost to create a backu0p copy of your virtual Windows installation. Then just restore this disk image over your Bootcamp installation.

There is the issue of Parallels tools being different for virtual vs. Bootcamp, but presumably you could boot into safe mode on your Bootcamp partition and remove/reinstall Parallels Tools.

Has anyone tried this, or do you have any views on whether it would work?

Thanks,

Tom

4. mike3k

mike3k Member

I probably won't be booting into Boot Camp, but I want to use that partition from my Parallels VM rather than a virtual disk image.

5. twynne

twynne Hunter

I'm the same - I'd rather not waste the space of having both a Parallels virtual machine and a Bootcamp partition. I rarely find the need to boot directly into Windows (in fact, only once that I can recall to perform a firmware upgrade on my router where the upgrade utility was Windows only!)