Unable to connect Sound 1

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Killerbob, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

Hi,

On my MacBook Pro I have installed Desktop 5 for Mac, and all works fine, except for sound. I am still running with Vista, and all is updated, but there is no sound in my Vista VM. The icon for sound is Xed out, and when I select "Activate" I get the message "Unable to connect Sound 1". I select OK, and the sound icon is still Xed out.

What's going on?

KB

2. Ephra

Ephra Member

Same here (still). When I reboot the VM, mostly the red cross dissappears, but I always have to reboot, sometimes more than once. It's a bug, which still exists after installing the update of 5.0.

3. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

OK, so there is at least two of us. And we both updated from 4 to 5. Anyone else?

4. I-che

I-che Pro

hi,
    please try to remove Parallels Tools from Programs list, restart VM and install Parallels Tools from Virtual Machine list.

5. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Alternatively, you may want to download the realtek AC'97 driver (look it up on Google or get it from realtek's website). It has a nice installer and will install a pretty good generic sound driver that even comes with a built-in equalizer and effects suite (mainly different kinds of echo).

6. LenaC

LenaC Bit poster

After working fine since installation about two months ago, the message "Unable to connect sound 1" started popping up every time I log on to Windows 7 from my Mac side via Parallels Desktop 6.0.11822 last week. Has there been a software update that caused this problem, or is there a solution/bug fix to download somewhere? How do I solve this, as I now have no sound on my Windows side?

7. jackfreud

jackfreud Bit poster

Same here

I'm getting this problem too. Just started on an install of Win 7 that had been working fine. I reinstalled Parallels Tools but no help.

8. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Try removing Sound from your virtual machine Hardware configuration. Then boot your virtual machine. Do you get the error now? If so, then post a screen shot here. If not, then shutdown your virtual machine and add Sound to your virtual machine Hardware configuration and try booting the virtual machine again.

9. DICKS

DICKS Bit poster

I know this is an old thread, but the problem is the same. Just upgraded to Parallels 7 from Parallels 6 on my Mac. Now my Windows Vista sound is gone with the error "Unable to connect Sound 1". When I click Devices/Sound on the Parallels Desktop menu bar, Enable Sound is unchecked, and when I check it the dialog box disappears until I click Devices/Sound again, and there it is again, unchecked. I tried joevt's suggestion to remove Sound from the Hardware list, but in the Configuration/Hardware listing, I select Sound and try [-] but there is no response. Then I tried to follow I-che's suggestion to "remove Parallels Tools from the Program List" but I have no idea what Program List he is talking about. Can anyone suggest what to try next?

10. strells

strells Product Expert

You need to uninstall Parallels Tools in Windows (not sure what the control panel was called in Vista, but it's called Programs and Features in Win7), reboot, and then reinstall Parallels Tools.

Steve

11. DICKS

DICKS Bit poster

Steve, that seems to have done the job. I'm back in business! Thanks.

12. charlie56

charlie56 Bit poster

Having the same problem here.
    Unable to connect Sound 1 then a second error about the Mixer

Build 9.0.24172

I uninstalled the Tools, rebooted, Reinstalled Tools, rebooted and the problem persists.

13. charlie56

charlie56 Bit poster

Having the same problem here.
    Unable to connect Sound 1 then a second error about the Mixer

Build 9.0.24172

I uninstalled the Tools, rebooted, Reinstalled Tools, rebooted and the problem persists.

14. Goosey

Goosey Bit poster

I've just come across the same problem as well. At work they gave me new headsets, Plantronics C325 and I'm having the Sound 1 error. I've uninstalled Parallel Tools and restarted. Upon re-installing Tools, at 76% of the installation, I got the sound 1 error and now it's just hanging at 76%. Don't know what to do now since it's not even installing all the way now. I'm on Windows 7 and Parallels 9.

Update: Parallel Tools did eventually install all the way. Restarting now. After installation, I'm not getting the error but I'm not getting any sound either. Seems like there's no driver. Wasn't Parallels Tools supposed to take care of that? Never mind I had to unplug the headset and reinsert it and change the connection to my parallels. Problem solved.

Last edited: May 21, 2014