Quick appearance of top of task bar in Coherence

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mglish, Dec 23, 2009.

1. mglish

mglish Junior Member

I converted a Fusion 3.0 Win 7 VM to Parallels 5 and am learning how Parallels works. One thing is happening that is distracting. I'm in Coherence mode and every now and then there is a very quick display of a slice of the Task Bar just above the dock. It's very quick and doesn't happen often. Seems like something that shouldn't be happening.

Would this have anything to do with using a converted VM? The conversion went surprisingly smooth, but typically I don't trust these things.

BTW, the thing I'm talking about happened once during the time I was writing this post. It had happened just before I wrote this post.

2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi,

Could you check if Autohide option is ON or OFF in the Windows taskbar? If it ON then try switch it OFF.

Alexander

3. mglish

mglish Junior Member

Autohide is not on. I did uncheck "Do not use doc area" and that made the problem go away. The little sliver of (I assume) the task bar was appearing right at the upper doc boundary.

Thanks,

Mike

4. petrovv

petrovv Member

Hello mglish,
    Could you answer some questions?
    May be some especial programs are installed in your guest OS? What programs are running when you see these 'taskbar flashes'? Can you see these flashes when you've just started your guest OS (and no apps are running yet)? Can you see these flashes in windowed mode if you hide taskbar?

5. mglish

mglish Junior Member

I don't recall exactly which program but it would have been either MS Word 2007 or Internet Explorer. I only see it when I'm using a Windows program; it doesn't happen otherwise.

I appreciate the attention to this thread, but I should mention that I observed this during a free trial and subsequently I decided not to use Parallels but instead stick with Fusion. I think Parallels is faster by a small amount than Fusion, but it is much less stable.

One thing it does that I don't care for is the way it represents minimized documents. Let's say you have two Word documents minimized. The Word icon appears in the dock, but when you click and hold nothing appears. In Fusion when you do this, you see two thumbnails of the documents with the document titles. This is the way Snow Leopard works with Mac documents. In Parallels you have to click the Parallels Desktop icon to see the thumbnails, but you see all Windows docs, not just those of a given application.

6. Matthew Bookspan

Matthew Bookspan Bit poster

I am seeing this issue as well. Parallels 5, build 9308. Running Win7 with just one app installed - Logos 4 (4a - latest build). I also see the same Windows Taskbar flicker. My Mac: 24" iMac, 3.06ghz, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS (512MB RAM).

7. BoE

BoE Junior Member

I have the exact same issue. It happens in both coherence and crystal mode! It happens even though i have NO windows apps running, and even though I have NO other than the usual mac-apps running (finder, safari, iantivurus).

ALSO I get some black bars running across the VM-window in window-view. I have a scrren-shot of it. In this picture it is a big area in the buttom of the VM-window but sometimes it is a smaller bar in the middle of the window. It seems to be very random how it happens.

Attached Files:

8. BoE

BoE Junior Member

Here I have a more resent example! It happens all the time, and last for about 5-15 seconds.

Attached Files:

9. BoE

BoE Junior Member

Here I have a screen-shot of the task-bar flickr in coherence-mode. That also happens all the time. Especially every time I change view from one mode to an other.

Attached Files:

10. TomR405

TomR405 Bit poster

DittoCoherence

I am also having the same problem. The line from the task bar flashes once or twice a minute or more. It's fairly distracting. I have unchecked auto-hide. I saw the post about "do not use doc area" but I couldn't find any option for that. This happens while in Crystal and Coherence modes.

Also, I don't know if it's related, in crystal or coherence, when Mac application windows are on top or have the focus, frequently the Windows application that is running in the background will make itself the front window.

I am running an intel iMac with latest patch to 10.6, and the VM is running Windows 7. The 2 windows apps that i use are Quattro and Wordperfect (both X3).

11. petrovv

petrovv Member

Hello, TomR405

This is a known issue and it has been fixed yet. The patch will be available in the next PD update.
    Now I can only offer to make the taskbar visible in coherence temporarily (click View->Show Windows Taskbar) to avoid blinking.