Coherence view on 2nd display, possible?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by macgebruiker, Jan 18, 2007.

1. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

I have 2 displays and prefer this coherence look However Iwhen I startup Parallels are windows are on the primary display and it is not possible to move them to the 2nd display. I first have to switch to OS-Window view, move it to the 2nd display and start coherence again.

I would like Parallels to start in coherence on the 2nd display. Is there a way to do that.

2. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Please try to do this:
    Run Parallels Desktop, menu "View" -> "Customize..." -> "Coherence" -> "Working area" and put tick in "Use multiple displays"

3. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

This does solve the problem however introduces a new one. The XP taskbar (at the bottom) remains on the main screen. This makes working akward since I have the 2 XP windows on the 2nd and taskbar on the 1st. I found out that the taskbar goes to the 2nd if I uncheck the 2nd displaybox

Could it not be made simpler like a checkbox where one clicks the display to open windows and taskbar?

BTW: what is meant with 'toolbar' in View -> Customize -> main Window?

4. drval

drval Pro

I'm confused by this. I use Coherence with two displays and have no problems. At times I drag my Windows Taskbar to the TOP of the screen, so that the "end" (or "bottom" depending on your perspective) shows up at the right edge of monitor two, as a continuation of the Taskbar.

If you are not seeing the complete Taskbar -- part of it "ending" on Monitor 2 -- when you leave it at the bottom, perhaps your two monitors have a different resolution and this prevents the complete display from showing up.

You might want to try dragging the Taskbar to the top, just to see if you can reproduce the behavior I've reported.

5. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

I do see the taskbar all over botsh displays (they do have different resolution) but that makes it really ugly. I would like it the way it is when I am in OS Windows view, then move XP to the 2nd display, then start coherence. Because this way the taskbar is at the bottom of the 2nd display.
    A taskbar over 2 displays is not only ugly but (in my case) useless. And absolutely _not_ a taskbar at the top.

6. drval

drval Pro

So what you want is Extended Desktop in Windows but with the two monitors reversed in their positions so your Primary Monitor is located (logically) on Monitor 2, while your physical Monitor 1 would serve as the location (logically) for the extended portion of your Desktop. But you want the converse to happen in Mac at the same time: ie you want you Primary Mac Monitor to remain your Primary Mac Monitor.

I don't know if that's possible in the way you want it to be -- it certainly sounds a bit confusing so maybe I'm not following you.

Why do you want to do this?

7. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

I absolutely do not want to make my 2nd display the primary one. I'll try to explain maybe that makes it better understandable.
    I habe an iMac and a Samsung display. The latter is used as secondary and it connectsat its left side to the right of the iMac display. (iMac ------Samsung)

The Samsung is used for things i do not need to look at all day but want to be available. For example I put there the messenger window containing those online, EPG for my EyeTV, Bittorrent stuff. They are on the screen so ith a blink of an eye I can see them.

The XP stuff I run is a bookkeeping program, Stock Portfolio and Stockcharter. Typical things I work with1 thru 5 times a day and I hate the (very) hassle of starting up parallels. I ould like these 3 screens (pref in coherence view) on the Samsung display.

So it would be great if I could instruct parallels to open these 3 XP-Windows in coherence view on the right side and off course have the taskbar either invisible or also on the Samsung only.

That way I can keep my iMac screen free to use with all that I am working on during the day.

Hopes this clears it up.

8. drval

drval Pro

I think you want to run Full Screen Mode on the Samsung after having started up Parallesl in OS View and dragging THAT window over to the Samsung. If you do then you will have your Windows Apps show up where there were last opened and closed. If those are the only Windows Apps you run -- or want to run -- then you don't even need the Taskbar. When you want to switch focus to one of those Apps, click on the Parallels icon on the Dock and hold there -- in a moment you'll have the complete list of running Windows Apps and can select whichever one you want.

9. sfuller

sfuller Member

macgebruiker
    I have not found a way to do what you want. I am using parallels on a secondary display from my MBP. My startup pattern is to open parallels, chose my VM to run from the picker list. Move that window to the second display, start it up, then switch to full screen or coherence mode. IIRC, the older builds had a tickbox for forcing the VM to start on the second display. I haven't found that feature in the latest betas that I have been running.

10. bobz

bobz Bit poster

What we need, I think, is for Parallels to un-break the multiple displays functionality.

Instead of turning multiple monitors into one giant screen, multiple monitors should show up under Parallels as multiple monitors so we can use Windows' multi-view options to control how things behave.

I find Parallels' giant desktop implementation worse than useless and keep it disabled. When would it ever be useful for a maximized window to span monitors?

11. drval

drval Pro

This is the original way that "Mutliple" Monitors was implemented by Appian Way's HydraVision. It works very well UNLESS you have differetnly sized monitors and, even then, there are work arounds -- depending, of course, on the precise demand you place on the possibilities.

12. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

That's more or less what I did and do now again. I had hoped there would be a better (read more comfortable) solution.

13. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

That would be THE solution (I think).