Windows Live Mail Busted after Upgrade to new build

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TigerMe, Dec 23, 2009.

1. TigerMe

TigerMe Member

Title says it all. Upgrading to the new build completely hosed Windows Live Mail. It would error out immediately with a catastrophic error and immediately shut down. This is the released version of Windows Live Mail running on the RTM build of Windows 7. I reproduced this with both a macbook and a 27" iMac. It also destroyed live mail on a bootcamp partition when I mounted it as a VM. Anything this new build touched, killed Windows Live Mail.

To get myself back up and running I had to do the following...

1. Find someone who had the original build - that took about 5 hours.
    2. Uninstall parallels tools on every VM on every machine including the hosed bootcamp partition.
    3. Uninstall the new build of parallels
    4. Reinstall the original build
    5. Reinstall parallels tools on every VM on every machine.

It was very NOT fun. Case # is 1553154.

I can't imagine something unique to my 2 systems (as they are completely different hardware) that is causing this and imagine others are having issues as well.

2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi Tiger,

I'm sorry for giving you troubles. Could you please send us the screenshot with error? Your problem report does not contain it unfortunately.

Alexander

3. TigerMe

TigerMe Member

Unfortunately I can't give you a screen shot. To do that would mean I have to go through upgrading again and causing me about 4 hours of repair time.

The error was something like this
    "Windows live mail will now close. There is corrupt information in your calendar. Windows Live will now close. (8x0000ffff)".

So you know, this had nothing to do with with my account. It was a problem on the local mahine. I clean installed win7 as a test. never used any sort of login at all and the initial launch of windows live mail failed. So it can't have anything to do with a specific account. Reverting back to the old build resolved the problem immediately.

It should be pretty easy to repro. Use the original 5.0 and install win7 and windows live mail. Upgrade to the updated build. Try to run mail again. It should fail.

4. alexg

Unfortunately I can't reproduce the error as you wrote. If the problem in the Calendar then you can try workaround:

Open Date and Time control panel, then switch off Automatic adjust clock for daylight savings.

Alexander

5. Same fault here :-(

Same fault here :-(

6. TigerMe

TigerMe Member

I guess this should be investigated more.

7. Fai Lau

Fai Lau Junior Member

I have exactly the same problem. The cause of the problem is the updated Parallels Tools. Once that gets installed, Live Mail ceases to be able to complete startup.

And yes switching off adjust clock for Daylight Saving Time does allow Live Mail to start and work as usual.

I guess that buys us some time before daylight saving time becomes effective.

8. alexg

Hi,

Just for note: Switching off Daylight savings in Date and Time control panel does not cause improper time synchronization. It is just workaround and time will ticks properly regardless this setting.

Alexander

9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Same here - I get a "calendar corrupt" error message and Windows Live Mail won't open. I suspect that this isn't a Parallels issue but something else; there are a few threads out there by Windows users on real PC's who seem to have the same issue (even though they're obviously not using Parallels). The strange thing is that Windows Live Writer retains its settings regardless of what I delecte from username/appdata/local/... so I guess the Windows Live settings actually live elsewhere.

I'm currently using Outlook instead of Live Mail until a solution becomes available.

(What's a "corrupt calendar", anyway? A rotten one? Or one that I pay money to so that it won't alert me to certain meetings that I hate to go to? This is weird language.)

10. TigerMe

TigerMe Member

Alex - are you guys looking into this? This seems like a bad enough problem that needs to be fixed before the next update. Waiting 10-14 weeks for a fix for this doesn't really seem acceptable. The update clearly broke this and now I have to use hacky work-arounds in my windows configuration which I don't like to do. I'd bet others feel the same way.

Thanks,
    Paul

11. TigerMe

TigerMe Member

Others may see this in regular windows but in the VM case, Parallels definitely broke this with the upgrade. Going back to the original version of 5.0 fixed it.

12. TigerMe

TigerMe Member

Much to my surprise - and I mean MAJOR SURPRISE, the daylight savings trick worked. Unbelievable. Great job finding that Alex. I still recommend a hotfix for this. Nobody is ever going to figure that out on their own. I work for a very big software company (in the engineering team) that builds the OS that most of us are using Paralles for and I couldn't figure it out or people who work with me.

Anyway - I'll shut up now. Again, I recommend a hotfix for this.

13. alias1fan1

alias1fan1 Bit poster

Same problem here. Daylight savings change fixed problem. Need permanent fix though. Thanks

14. gebauer

gebauer Member

My Windows Live Mail will not open

After upgrading to the 5.0.9308 when I try to open Windows Live Mail it closes and I get a dialog box saying:
    Windows LIve Mail could not be started. Closing Windows LIve Mail. Your Calender contains corrupt data that is forcing Windows Live Mail to close. (0x8000FFFF)

Not realizing until I checked this forum that it was a Parallels problem I have had the Windows Live Support team working on this problem for a week now. They have given me 5 or 6 different fixes and nothing has worked.

Help Parallels!

15. gebauer

gebauer Member

Tried turning off 'Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Savings Time' in Windows 7 Date and Time settings and that fixed the problem as a work around.

16. OliverR

OliverR Bit poster

Same thing happened to me. I bought a MPB recently. I just started a trial of Parallels. Then my Windows Live Mail wouldn't open. I got the same error as everyone else. Turning off daylight savings in Windows7 does make it work again. But I would not buy the software if this is not fixed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  17. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Same here... turning off daylight savings makes it work... frankly, since the VM is synched to the Mac's clock (which does its own daylight savings time thing), I find turning off daylight savings on the Windows side quite ok.

18. peterpancl

peterpancl Bit poster

Hi,

What if time zone do not have daylight savings?
    this is what happen to me...

Is there any other way to solve it? Thanks.

19. TigerMe

TigerMe Member

If you can't reproduce this then something is wrong. I have done this on a ton of machines, repro every time. And Obviously a bunch of people here can reproduce it.

20. TigerMe

TigerMe Member

Well done. Fixed in the new build released.