Can I have 2 versions of Parallels installed on 1 machine?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sbpinnacle, Jan 18, 2007.

1. sbpinnacle

sbpinnacle Bit poster

I currently have version 1970 installed on my MacBook C2D, but it doesn't recognize a USB 2.0 scanner I need to use. In seeing that USB 2.0 is not supported as yet, I was thinking of installing the RC and using my current VM to see if I can get the scanner and software working. If it doesn't work, I could just use the 1970 release without having to go through a re-install.

Will this work?

2. palter

palter Hunter

No, it won't.

3. scott.junk@paksense.com

scott.junk@paksense.com Junior Member

I concure, it will not work.

However, reinstalling Parallels isn't too much of a bother.

What is a bother is updating the Parallels Tools in your VM and if necessary reverting back to the previous version if you have to revert back to 1970.

If you create a backup of your VM prior to upgrading (which is STRONGLY recommended) then you could always just switch to the backup copy if you have to revert back to 1970.

Hope that helps...

4. sbpinnacle

sbpinnacle Bit poster

Thanks for the quick reply...

If I decide to try the RC and it's not functional, problematic, etc., having a backup .hdd, do I simply have to reinstall 1970 and rollback to the backup .hdd?

5. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

yes but make sure you've uninstalled Tools for each version before going to another one. And you should make a backup of your current VM so you can trash the one you took into the new releases, if something goes bad. You probably don't want to have the same VM, exposed to a newer release, running with an older release.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007