Ubuntu on Beta 3036

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by raheel, Jan 18, 2007.

1. raheel

raheel Bit poster

I am having serious trouble with installing Ubuntu on the new beta. The live CD won't boot beyonf the "starting X" point. The alternative install CD starts installing but then stops after a long time of verifying packages.

Anyone has had any luck?

2. Hagbard

Hagbard Member

The most common cause of Ubuntu install problems is assigning too much RAM to the virtual machine. 512 mb is tops. If you have VM set above 512 mb, you will need to reduce it. A less frequent cause of trouble is using the "server" install CD but from your description it sounds like you were using the standard iso. It's also possible something about your video setup is incompatible with Ubuntu X autoconfig. Is your display setup standard for your type of Mac, or do you use multiple, very large, or unusual video equipment? Ubuntu does offer the option to boot up with various kernel options disabled if you have having compatibility issues.

Ubuntu has behaved well for me on all Parallels releases I have tested with, apart from Beta 2 3094 video resolution. After testing all builds from 1970-RC1, I have returned to build 1970 as offering the best performance and most stability for my GNU/Linux virtual machines. Your mileage may vary.