Unable to Connect to Internet

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Buds, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Buds

Buds Bit poster

ATTENTION EVERYONE THAT READS THIS THREAD!
    i will be updating all my information in this post. i'm sick of waiting days just to have my post posted and then days to have someone's response posted. it's ridiculous. it makes asking a question and getting a reply take forever. it's completely unneeded and i've never seen a forum that operates this way.

hi,

i've had parallel desktop for mac for about two years now. i had it installed on my mac but had to delete it a while back; can't remember the reason. i've finally gotten around to reinstalling it.

i have mac g5 with mac os x 10.4.11. my previous computer was some sort of dell desktop, which did nothing but torment me the whole time i owned it. that's where my windows xp discs are from.

windows xp installed fine, however all of my drivers and utilities and applications disc come up with an error message stating that they can't begin installation because "my computer is not recognized as a dell computer." this is preventing me from accessing the internet through parallels' windows xp. as i said, i had parallels and windows xp working fine in the past.

EDIT #1: ok, i found out how to install parallel tools. i did so and saw no results. i am still unable to connect to the internet.

i clicked on the network settings in my virtual machine's configuration and my only two options of connecting to the internet are through my bridged ethernet by default adapter or en0: ethernet adapter. i have tried both and neither works. all other options are greyed out.

EDIT #2 (this will be the same as my next post in this thread whenever it gets posted): @ shaddam iv: yes, my mac is connected and running the internet with no problem while i have my vm running. i do not use proxies. i looked at my vm's network settings and it had two dhcp options checked. i unselected them both. this limited my only connection option to the default adapter and did not fix the problem. finally, i am not on a wlan, i am connected directly by cable.

@ i-che: i have tried setting a shared network in configuration. the option is always greyed out and i can not get it become available no matter what i try.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. I-che

I-che Pro

Hello Buds,
    OEM versions are basically not supported in Parallels Desktop:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5129
    You can however try to install Parallels Tools, which probably can solve networking problem.

3. mavsfan

mavsfan Junior Member

drivers

Buds, you may not need the contents of the driver disk if you can just establish your internet connection...then you should be able to download drivers as needed from dell or other sources. You did not mention how you normally connect to the net or if you are in a home or biz network?

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

If XP is installing fine then just install the Parallels tools for the drivers you'll need to run XP under Parallels on your Mac. Regarding any applications, though, my guess is that you're out of luck. It sounds as if you got OEM versions of these applications which means that you can indeed only run them on the machine they were sold with. You would have the same experience if you tried to install them on a, let's say, HP machine.

5. Buds

Buds Bit poster

thanks for the replies guys.

@i-che: thanks for that link, i guess that would explain my problem. quite strange that i was able to install them when i first had parallels working.

@mavsfan: haha, sorry about that. this is at my house and i connect to the internet directly through my modem, no router.

@shaddam iv: yeah, i don't care about the applications, i just had that disc in the pile so i figured i'd give it a try. could you tell me how exactly i install these "parallel tools?" thanks.

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Well is your Mac connected to the internet as you are running Parallels? Do you maybe have a proxy that you need to set within Windows? The VM is essentially its own computer, with its own networking card (this is why the VM has its own MAC address). If a) connected and b) no proxy, check whether the general Parallels settings (Menu "Parallels Desktop">Settings>Network) have the DHCP server running - that may help accessing a WLAN (if you are connected thru a WLAN) - if you're not on a WLAN, but connected direct (via cable), you may want to uncheck the DHCP setting there.

7. I-che

I-che Pro

Buds,
    please try to set Shared Networking for VM in configuration. Parallels Tools can be installed on running VM from Virtual Machine menu.

8. Buds

Buds Bit poster

@ shaddam iv: yes, my mac is connected and running the internet with no problem while i have my vm running. i do not use proxies. i looked at my vm's network settings and it had two dhcp options checked. i unselected them both. this limited my only connection option to the default adapter and did not fix the problem. finally, i am not on a wlan, i am connected directly by cable.

@ i-che: i have tried setting a shared network in configuration. the option is always greyed out and i can not get it become available no matter what i try.

9. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi Buds,
    please try to remove network adapter in virtual machine's configuration and add new one pointed to use Shared Networking (use [+] and [-] buttons for adding/removing).

10. Buds

Buds Bit poster

sorry for the delayed reponse but i hope i can still get some help with this.

i can not see how to add a new shared network in the configuration. the + and - buttons do not do anything for me.

11. I-che

I-che Pro

hi Buds,
    what do you mean - the buttons do not do anything? Are they greyed out? Please make sure the virtual machine is stopped, as this operation cannot be performed on-the-fly.