USB Issues with 3120

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by silver25u, Jan 12, 2007.

1. randstar

randstar Bit poster

this is my problem also. Build 1970 will work. Is the autoconnection "on", once activated it recognized my USB hardrive. But 1970 doesn't support USB 2.0, so it is at very slow transfer speeds. I upgraded to 3120 (you can download it from the website) which reportedly supports USB 2.o, and now i can get no USB drives to show up on the windows screen?!?!

I would of stuck with 1970 at the slower speed. I am not sure how to uninstall and get back to 1970
    Randstar

2. randstar

randstar Bit poster

thanks i did exactly that and upgraded to 3120. Unfortunately, now windows does not register my USB Firelite hardrive at all. Parallels states its there and has a check by it, but in Windows it is not listed and i can not access it.

Thanks, randstar

3. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

"Parallels states its there and has a check by it, but in Windows it is not listed and i can not access it."
    ===

Hmm. Is there anything in Device Manager of Windows that you can uninstall or update with the new Tools drivers? Did you uninstall Parallels Tools from 1970 before you started using the VM on 3160? This is no doubt a Tools problem. Maybe uninstall that, start back up in Help Mode, and re-install Tools. Then reboot.

I don't know. But it definitely has to do with Tools, I'm sure of that.

4. randstar

randstar Bit poster

I had never installed parallel tools with 1970 (only had it for 3 days prior to updating to 3120).
    So i just install tools now per your request, and it restarted windows afterward. Parallels lists my firelite, and i can check it, but it still does not come up under windows and i can not access it.

thanks, randstar

5. terreh1

terreh1 Bit poster

I'm having the same problems with my USB 2.0 device. I re-intalled tools after I intalled the latest beta version of parallels. With the old version, it would recognize my flash drive but wouldn't let me access it because it said another system was using it. With the latest version, it says nothing. I see it in the list of devices. Also, it keeps crashing my computer when I plug in my flash drive. I just get the spinning circle and everything freezes and I have to reboot my computer. I'd love to resolve this because it's becoming a nightmare to try and run parallels. I was at Macworld and when I went to the parallels booth, their computers worked perfectly! I dream of oneday achieving that......hehee

6. mcqueary

mcqueary Member

I'm having the same problem with external USB2 drives as various earlier posters are, but I'm using an external EXT2 drive, trying to connect it to a RedHat AS3 VM. I see the equivalent behavior in my situation as the Windows/BootCamp users are reporting -- the drive is recognized by OSX, but after connecting the device to the VM, it doesn't show up (in fact, it locks up the VM, but even after resetting the VM, the device does not appear in 'fdisk -l').

So, inferring the logical equivalent of your suggestion above, I'd have a hard time believing that a re-install of RHAS3 would fix this.

From what I've read from above and elsewhere on the forum, this seems to be a general problem in 3120RC1, not a 'Windows VM'-specific problem.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  7. mcqueary

mcqueary Member

I am having the same problems with an external USB EXT2-formatted drive, connecting to a Linux VM, so I believe this problem's not a Windows or Boot Camp-specific issue (as a few posters seem to suggest).

8. SteveDemy

SteveDemy Member

Fixed and working perfectly again in 3150. Thanks Parallels Team.

9. psquare11

psquare11 Bit poster

USB Issues under Build 3120

Sorry if these newbie queries repeat questions asked elsewhere, but there are several USB related issues that elude me:
    1) I'm running 3120 and have not found definitive guidance on how to manage USB devices. I saw a posting elsewhere that said it was necessary to "dismount" USB "drives" from OS-X before trying to use them in a guest OS (// VM). Is this correct? If so, must I restart the iMac system if I inadvertently disconnected a USB drive without first dismounting it? Is there some other corrective step I can take to resolve this error?
    2) Can I use a 4-port USB Hub to connect USB devices that are to be accessed from a //VM (e.g., WinXP)?
    3) Is there still a limit on the number of USB devices that can be accessed from an XP VM??
    4) Has anyone experienced problems using a Dazzle "10 in 1" Reader/Writer? (I found that under Mac OS X only one folder of photos was accessible; 2 or three others could not be read even though all were in standard jpeg format.)
    5) I've read comments about reinstalling USB drivers in order to correct problems, but all of my USB devices are supposed to be PnP under both OS X and WinXP. Does running XP as a guest OS under Parallels somehow alter PnP capabilities?

Thanks for any assistance out there,

psquare11