Trouble Installing QuickBooks 2010 (Windows) Using Parallels Desktop 5.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PattiR, Dec 15, 2009.

1. PattiR

PattiR Bit poster

I have a MacBook Pro and I am currently running Parallels Desktop 5.0 and tried to install the new software for QuickBooks 2010 for Windows (on Windows XP SP2). The CD starts to load, then seems to hang. I have stopped Parallels and tried to re-install several times with no success. Any suggestions what to do? Any particular settings I need to check on Parallels configuration?

I took the QuickBooks CD to another laptop running Windows XP SP2 and it did begin installation process on that computer, so apparently it is not a problem with the CD itself.

I appreciate any input, as I need to get QuickBooks up and running asap.

Thanks,

PR

2. I-che

I-che Pro

Dear PattiR, please make sure that when you insert QuickBooks 2010 to CD-DVD ROM, the disk is being mounted to virtual machine and fully accessible from Windows. Please check that proper CD-DVD rom drive is mounted: Devices menu on top > CD/DVD. QuickBooks 2010 itself should not be the issue in Parallels Desktop virtual machines.

3. aa.

aa. Member

Hello PattiR,

There are some possible solutions you try:

1) BootCamp
    - install WinXP as a Boot Camp partition
    - boot into windows, try to install QuickBooks 2010 in Windows natively
    - reboot into MacOS and use this BootCamp partition as Virtual Machine in PD5.

2) ISO ?

It's just a guess, but.... you can try to dump .iso image from your CD (by any third-party tool) an then attach this image as a CD to PD5 VM. Probably your CD is protected somehow and can't be read on PD5, but I'm not sure...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  4. APRILF

APRILF Bit poster

Hi PattiR,

My new MacBook does the same thing and it is because Win & does not have drivers for my CD Rom-DVD. The usual remedy is to create a ISO image to use in Win; But Disk Utility fail to do so on my QuickBooks CD.