Parallels VM Compactor 1.0 Beta is available!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andrew @ Parallels, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Parallels is proud to announce the beta release of Parallels VM Compactor 1.0, a powerful, easy to use virtual hard disk management tool that optimizes performance of any Parallels, VMware or Microsoft virtual machine running Windows 2000, 2003, or XP by compacting its hard drive by up to 80%. Compacted hard disks help optimize virtual machine performance and more efficiently use real disk space.

Compatible with any Windows virtual machine from Parallels, VMware and Microsoft
    No matter which virtualization solution you use, Parallels VM Compactor 1.0 can help you improve the performance of Windows virtual machines and better manage physical and virtual disk space. The product works seamlessly with any Windows 2000, 2003 or XP virtual machine built with:

- Parallels Workstation 2.1 for Windows, Linux or Mac OS X
    - VMware Workstation
    - VMware GSX Server
    - VMware Server
    - Microsoft Virtual PC
    - Microsoft Virtual Server

Please participate in our beta program and Download Parallels VM Compactor 1.0 Beta Now!

2. Richard Hunter

Richard Hunter Member

Kickasssssssssssss :)

3. kaufman

kaufman Member

Is this going to be a free tool for Parallel WOrksation purchasers, or is it giong to require a seperate purchase?

Michael

4. nick083

nick083 Member

VM Compactor pricing

Hello,

We're not ready to make any announcements on the price point. For now we're in process of evaluating your feedback on the Beta version. Please, give it to us. Then we can release faster and give you prices . :)

Best Regards,
    Nick

5. Griffin3

Griffin3 Bit poster

Price Range, Maybe?

We don't need anything precise, or anything that might be contrued as a commitment ... I for one use my parallels-vm for my contracting work, and I'm very hesitant to convert my image, and get hooked on a cool product that may be costing $50-$100 after the 30 day beta. Not to mention, what if the uncompressor doesn't quite work after that ...

Can you give us ANY hint on the expected price?

6. SFrawley

SFrawley Member

Am I locked in?

If I try it is my virtual machine forced to buy the release version? I am sold on Workstation for my Mac and ordered it , but without more info, I am scared to try this.:confused:

7. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

Am I missing something? How is this different from the included Disk Compacting tool that is already included in the base product that many of us have already paid for?

/Library/Parallels/Help//12744.htm

Personally, I think it would be a mistake to sell a [seemingly] required utility as an option - it would sure turn me off. If the development cost is that high, it would be more upfront to increase the price by $5-10 and include it with the product. Can you imagine the uproar if Microsoft sold it's spell checking option separately from Word? This situation would be quite similar if this is really being suggested.

8. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

The difference was already spelled out. This product works on Parallels VMs as well as those created with VMWare and Microsoft.

9. dglock2

dglock2 Hunter

compactor

I have a license for parallels vm, do i still need a different serial for the compactor beta trial?

I used the option on the down load page to have a trial serial sent, that was 2 hours ago and still don't have it.

don

10. Andrew @ Parallels

Parallels Workstation includes free built-in compacting tool. It could be used only for Parallels Workstation virtual machines.

New Parallels VM Compactor product is advanced version of such tool which will be offered separately from the Paralells Workstation. Its main advatages over built-in tool is:

1. Significantly better compacting ratio. It specially cleaning and optimizing guest OS before actual compacting (but it does use built-in feature in the end for actual compacting).
    2. Flexibility. You can choose from 3 running modes and customize optimization level.
    3. Managability. It can be run from command line and can be integrated into scripts.
    4. Support for wide range of virtual platforms. It can be used with Parallels Workstation, VMware Workstation & Server, Microsoft Virtual PC & Server.

So this product is a value add tool built on base of standard compacting tools offered by VMM vendors - Parallels, VMware and MS.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  11. Andrew @ Parallels

Please - try again. I think it was some problem with our server...

12. konstantin

konstantin Member

You guys are the best! What will be next? VM converter between Parallels, VMWare, VirtualPC and Virtual Server?

13. simon

simon Member

Cannot install with B4 for OSX

I tried to install the compactor BETA along with B4 for OSX. The installer warns that a newer version is already installed. If you ignore this warning and press on, the installer tells you it has nothing to install.

Is this a known issue ?