Windows 7 Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by TravisS, Dec 16, 2009.

1. TravisS

TravisS Bit poster

I am running Snow Leopard on an iMac and want to use Windows 7 with Parallels. Am I able to use the Windows 7 Upgrade edition to install the virtual machine using Parallels? I do have a copy of Windows XP that I'm not using, but I'd rather just do a clean install of Windows 7 from the upgrade disc. I have read on some sites that there are several ways to do clean installs of Windows 7 without having to install or use a previous version first. But I didn't know if this will work with Parallels? If not, would I have to do a VM install of WinXP first and then upgrade from within the virtual machine? That sounds complicated...

Please advise...

2. I-che

I-che Pro

Hello TravisS,
    for clean install of Windows 7 in Parallels Desktop virtual machine you need an installation disk with Windows 7, not an upgrade disk. Upgrading to Windows 7 from Windows XP might be not that easy, too. You need to check with Microsoft if your particular Windows XP edition can be upgraded to Windows 7 edition you have. Also, please check this:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

3. AliR

AliR Bit poster

I am running Parallel 5 with Windows xp. I was only able to purchase the upgrade version of Windows 7. But unfortunetly, it gives me error when I try to install the windows 7. Have you been able to upgrade your XP to windows 7?

4. EugeneS

EugeneS Bit poster

I was able to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 this weekend. Everything went pretty smoothly. I did have to uninstall and then reinstall Tools

5. AliR

AliR Bit poster

My apology - I am trying to upgrade from Vista to WIndows 7 pro and having a ruff time to get it to work. It is not XP to windows7.

6. AliR

AliR Bit poster

My apology - I am actually trying to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 PRO. How can I do that that? I need the process as no matter what I do , the installtion gives me error.

7. I-che

I-che Pro

8. ManyueC

ManyueC Bit poster