Can never copy files between OS's

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Steelbom, May 20, 2009.

1. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

Hi, I'm wondering why when I select 3 files for example on Windows, do Ctrl + C (or right click and copy),
    and then go to Windows 7, or my Mac, and press Ctrl+V / Cmd + V respectively, that it doesn't copy them???

Kind Regards
    Me

2. desgael

desgael Pro

This actually does not matter how many files there are. You can drag-and-drop these files to the Mac side from the virtual machine, but you can not copy them to the Windows buffer and then paste in Mac.

Copy/paste and Ctrl+C/Cmd+V would work only with text.
    Of course you can always use the shared folders to use the data on both sides simultaneously or shared profile (same desktop for both OS).

3. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

Hi, ok, so I can only copy text between my Mac, Windows 7, and Windows XP, not files (via Copy Paste), should I be able to drag files from Windows 7 / Windows XP to my Mac? because I have found that I can't, I have to open their C Drives which are mounted on my desktop, and do the files there...

Is that normal?

Kind Regards
    Me

4. rogercohen

rogercohen Bit poster

Parallels 4 drag and drop working poorly

I am running identical versions of Parallels on two Macs.
    Running Parallels 4.0.3846 with Mac OS 10.6.2 on Intel Core 2 Duo with Windows XP.

On the iMac, Parallels suddenly refused to do drag and drop from Mac to Windows. However, Parallels could do drag and drop from Windows to Mac.

I deleted and reinstalled Parallels Tools. No joy. I replaced the Win XP image with a known good backup. No joy.

I ran Parallels uninstaller, but it did not remove ANYTHING.

I manually removed all of Parallels 4, including the prefs files and folders.

I then logged out and in, and reinstalled Parallels. Then installed Parallels Tools.

Now I can still drag from Windows to Mac. But dragging from Mac to Windows works only 1-out-of-10 times. And when it does work, it takes several minutes before the Mac file eventually shows up on the Windows desktop.

An identical setup on my MacBook Pro works perfectly.

I tried to log in to Parallels support, but I can't get in. There is some cryptic form to fill-in, with info I don't have. I purchased TWO Parallels 4 installations just one month ago, but Parallels will not let me in.

I need help and a fix.

Thanks.

5. Blackalak

Blackalak Bit poster

Typical software company selling crap that doesnt work this is why im moving all my stuff over to mac deleting not-so-paralles and using macs built in boot camp if i need to transfer files i will just use a NAS device