No Sound in Window XP SP3

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DaxJ, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaxJ

DaxJ Bit poster

I cannot get sound to work in my VM for XP SP3 on my MacBook Pro 13". I have tried several drivers including the ones on the bootcamp disk and the latest on the RealTek site. I have also tried uninstalling Parallels Tools and reinstalling. I get this error in XP:

Under Device Manager yellow question mark for "multimedia audio device"

MacBook Info:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.47f2
    Serial Number (system): W800202A66J
    Hardware UUID: F5E3E052-17BF-53B9-9295-FAFD539C18AB
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

XP Info attached in screen shot.

Thanks for any help.

-Dax

Attached Files:

2. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi DaxJ,
    Please remove any entry of Parallels Tools (and any additional sound drivers you installed) from Add/Remove programs, restart Windows and install Parallels Tools back from Virtual Machine menu.

3. DaxJ

DaxJ Bit poster

This did not solve the problem. "multimedia audio device" is still unable to find a driver to work. Sound in windows control panel says no device is installed. Under the VM settings, sound is enabled with "default" devices checked. Any other suggestions? Does anyone have it working with XP SP3?

-Dax

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Which version of Parallels are you running?

If 5: you could right click on the yellow triangle in the device manager which will prompt the "update driver" dialog. Navigate to your Parallels Tools directory; in that, find "Drivers" -> "sound". The "sound" directory contains the sound driver.

If that doesn't install you might want to check whether you've connected your sound card in the VM settings. If you can't find the directory then Parallels Tools haven't been correctly installed.

Good luck.

5. DaxJ

DaxJ Bit poster

I have uninstalled parallel tools several times and still cannot get the sound working in Window XP. I have also installed the Parallels Desktop 5 update today (1/22/10) with no luck. I do not see any drivers in the directory for sound (see photo of directory structure attached). Does anyone actually have sound working for XP SP3 in Parallels 5.0.9310? Anything else to try?

Thanks,

-Dax

Attached Files:

6. DaxJ

DaxJ Bit poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.