shouldn't this be included?

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by rich_w, Apr 20, 2006.

1. rich_w

rich_w Member

why not build this into PW? I don't get it...

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Because it is a separate product and it supports all types of virtual machines from different vendors - Parallels, VMware, Microsoft.

3. Andrew Meier

Andrew Meier Bit poster

Pricing?

What about pricing? Or is still that being determined?

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Pricing will be announced - please keep in touch.

5. ianc

ianc Bit poster

I agree

I also think that it should be included with Parallels Workstation. You could make the version that is included only compatible with Parallels VMs and the separate version compatible with all.

6. Manatee

Manatee Member

Maybe that could be marketed as PWS Pro, or PWS Suite, or some such thing.

7. preschke

preschke Bit poster

What about the compacter feature that is already included in the PW beta4 for Mac OSX - will that feature be removed in beta5?

8. Andrew @ Parallels

You have 2 options now:

1. Free built-in compacting feature in Parallels Workstation. It could be used only for Parallels Workstation virtual machines.

2. Additional Parallels VM Compactor product which give your more flexibility and significantly better compacting ratio. Parallels VM Compactor could be used with most popular commercial virtual machines such as Parallels, VMware Workstation&Server, Microsoft Virtual PC&Server.

And actually built-in compact feature is used by Parallels VM Compactor at the the end of the compacting process.

9. chazzzzy

chazzzzy Junior Member

Yeah, this concerns me. I was thriled at the low cost of Parallels, as XP is so expensive on top of it... now I'm seeing additional software that needs to be purchased "to improve the performace" of Parallels?

Oh great, now I'm going to have a slow VM unless I buy this additional product. Great!

Parallels has suddenly become an expensive product.. and before it's even out of beta.

Not a very smart move, which is my own personal opinion, but I'm sure one that will be shared by many.

10. nick083

nick083 Member

Compactor added value

Hello chazzzzy,

Actually Compactor is an additional tool that allows to optimize Windows guest OS for running inside VM. It's up to you to either use it or not. The same software can be found for real computers.

For example, registry cleaners. You buy a physical computer and after some time realize that Windows works slowly because of many installations/deinstallions. I can hardly imagine that you can say that hardware vendor or OS vendor make some special tricks to slow down their performance.

The same situation is here. You can see real feedbacks about performance of the product. I want to emphasize that Compactor is only an additional tool for optimizing guest OS. It works in a variety of virtual machines - Parallels, VMware, Microsoft.

Best Regards,
    Nick

11. milofischbein

milofischbein Bit poster

It's not slow. It's as fast as it would be if the compactor tool didn't exist. But with the compactor tool, you can make it even faster.

12. SFrawley

SFrawley Member

Discount?

OK, so it can be used for other things besides Workstations of yours. Will there be a discount for those that own yours or just use it for yours? Brand loyalty sort of thing . . .

13. rich_w

rich_w Member

are we gonna be charged for usb support too? what about sound? networking?

14. konstantin

konstantin Member

Do you realise, that this product is unparalleled *wink* so far?
    Up to now Parallels was a cheap alternative to VMWare, given, they already support Mac OS X and even harder for VMWare to cope with: VT-x.
    But now they have a spanking new product that the other VM manufacturers just don't have. Period. You won't get this with VMWare, not even for 149.95. They did not think of it or allocated resources elsewhere...
    Now Paralells comes to the rescue (because they conceived what users needed, a rare gift for techies) and issues this product and they are even nice enough to even make it work for VMWare and VPC users as well!

And all you have to do is bitch about pricing! get a grip, folks!
    Look, Paralells Workstation is already a third of the license cost of VMWare, what do you expect? A super expensive add on??? I'd think this will be a 29.95 ball park figure.

And, if you read the forums, sound is already in beta4, network boot will follow and usb will be included in either beta5 or GA. So everything is on the table. Nobody promised you this extra feature when you bought the pre-release version, or did they?

15. Andrew @ Parallels

Guys,

Parallels Workstation is already includes free built-in compacting tool! New Parallels VM Compactor product is the first product in our line of innovative virtualization tools for any virtual platform, not just for Parallels. Parallels Workstation will still have all functionality inside free of charge!

16. konstantin

konstantin Member

even better...

17. ianc

ianc Bit poster

my bad

I must apologise, I didn't realise that a parallels vm compactor was built-in already :eek: .

Should really stress the beta out before my key expires.