Vista SP2 Unsupported?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Kris G, May 26, 2009.

1. Kris G

Kris G Member

I run PD 4.0 the most current version and Windows Vista Home Edition on bootcamp. Today I have upgrade Vista to SP2 (from bootcamp). After completing an upgrade I started Mac (OsX 10.5.7) than started Parallel. I got a warning that my current Windows Version (now Vista SP 2) is not supported by Parallels. I proceeded anyway and it looks like it is working. I haven't tested it extensively, so there might be the problem.

Anyway, are we going to get an update to make sure that compatibility is assured?

Thank you.

Kris

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello Kris G,

As Parallels Desktop 4.0 last build was release at 5 of May and Vista SP2 was release several days ago it was not fully tested with Paralells Desktop 4.0 and we cannot guarantee proper work of Virtual Machine.That is why Parallels Desktop sent you warning about it.

3. Kris G

Kris G Member

I understand that. The question I have do you guys have time frame to release the version to support Vista SP2 since likely people will be upgrading.

Thank you.

Kris

4. Pariahware

Pariahware Junior Member

From within Parallels, I was not able to install Vista SP2. Is this expected?

5. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

We do not have info on release dates, but yes, a new build compatible with Windows Vista SP2 will be released

6. Michael Nesbett

Michael Nesbett Bit poster

Let's see, that last reply from Parallels was on Jun 30th
    It is now August.
    The "critical upgrade" message in Vista is getting annoying.
    When can we expect some word?

Thank you.

7. andyeb

andyeb Bit poster

Any updates on this? Vista SP2 has been out a long time now. The delay is outside my reasonable expectations for support for a product that I bought.

8. labart

labart Bit poster

PD v5 for MAC

Has there been any developments on this Vista SP2 issue. I held off installing this durring the summer but would really like to do it if possible. the knowledge base only says that Vista is compatible but does not refer to SP1 or SP2. I would assume that it is now compatible as I've now upgraded to PD5 from PD4. But can't seem to find it anywhere.

9. I-che

I-che Pro

10. labart

labart Bit poster

Apple vs. Parallels

I-Che, Thanks for your reply. However I'm slightly confused with your reply. What does this have to do with Apple? I'm running Parallels Desktop for Mac v.5 and would like to upgrade to Vista SP2. Previous users seem to have had problems. I'm not using Bootcamp. Please clarify. Thanks.

11. I-che

I-che Pro

hi labart,
    the entire thread refers to what Vista Service Pack is supported on Boot Camp, that is why I pointed you to Apple. If you use Windows Vista in Parallels Desktop virtual environment (not Boot Camp), Vista SP 0 and SP 1 are supported:
    Supported Guest OSes

12. labart

labart Bit poster

Shame

Thanks for the info. Shame that SP2 is not supported. Any idea if/when it might be added.

13. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi labart,
    cannot provide you with any official ETA. However, Vista SP2 should not have any issues in Parallels Desktop 5 virtual environment.

14. Robert Powers

Robert Powers Bit poster

Don't understand answers

What do you mean, "However, Vista SP2 should not have any issues in Parallels Desktop 5 virtual environment."? Why the references to Boot Camp?

All I know is that I still can't install it on Vista which is my virtual machine installed on Parallels Desktop 5. It seems as if 7 months (and a new version of Parallels) should have been enough time to solve the installation/support problem. Is Parallels working on this, or is Vista SP2 unimportant?

15. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi Robert,
    initially, the thread refers to Vista SP 2 running in Boot Camp, please see my post #11.

If you run Vista in Parallels Desktop 5 in virtual environment (not Boot Camp), it should be possible to install SP2 and use it. Parallels Desktop 5 totally supports Vista SP 2 (we will make respective changes in list of supported guest operating systems). What happens when you try to install SP2? Any errors?

16. Robert Powers

Robert Powers Bit poster

I have tried to install SP2 (after turning virus protection off by disabling Parallels Internet Security 2009) and get the following message, "A system error prevented the service pack from installing. Please download and run the "Check for System Update Readiness" tool at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=122602.

I downloaded that, installed it successfully, and then tried installing SP2 again with same results. Error is apparently "0x800F081F". Have done everything recommended except actually uninstalling Parallels Internet Security 2009.

17. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi Robert,
    please try to remove PIS from Programs list and restart Vista. Disable Defender/Firewall (if any) and try to install SP 2. It the error still persists, it is better to contact Microsoft on this issue.