Apple USB Modem + Parallels + Win XP Pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Lew, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Lew

Lew Member

I just installed Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3094 Beta 2 on my MacBook Pro and couldn't be more delighted. As a long-time Windows user who has owned his first Apple computer for about three weeks, I can tell you I couldn't be happier with my decision not to purchase another Dell.

Anyway...my question: Has anyone had success using an Apple USB Modem while in Windows XP Pro under Parallels? Occassionally I need to connect using dialup or send a fax from Windows. If that modem works with Windows it would be ideal.

Thanks...

Lew

2. octomonkee

octomonkee Bit poster

I, too, would love to have help figuring this out. I recently purchased a MB Pro along with Parallels and Windows XP. A program that I use for work automatically faxes orders from my laptop (while connected to modem and phone line) to my customers. I plugged in the apple modem, and clicked on send faxes, but nothing happened. I would really appreciate any help. Please note I'm a super novice.

3. octomonkee

octomonkee Bit poster

Wondering if anyone had any possible solutions. I haven't been able to fax orders to my customers for several days now and they're beginning to not be happy. :eek:

4. octomonkee

octomonkee Bit poster

Upon further research, I clicked on the USB icon down in the lower right "devices" and noticed that there were several items on the list. My USB Modem was one of them. When I clicked on it I got the following error message:

"USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually."

Waiting 5-10 seconds didn't work (and still doesn't work). Does anyone know what this error might mean? Is the modem being used by the Mac OS, or the Windows XP OS? How can I disconnect it manually? I don't need it for anything else other than this specific faxing program for Windows.

I would appreciate any help. I've also emailed Parallels for help on the same day that I originally posted my help request but haven't heard back from the either. Would you recommend attempting their phone help?

5. Rocky

Rocky Bit poster

USB problem

I am having the same problem with my new Mac, Paralells etc. My Windows 2000 sees the flash drive but I get the same message as the previous post. I am running build 1940 dated Oct. 11,2006
    Under Devices/USB it shows Apple Internal keyboard/Trackpad, IR Receiver, Apple Wireless, Built I- iSight and the Cruzer flash drive. I have turned off the IR and any program that would use the iSight. but still no luck. Perhaps so knowing user can help us.

6. josmac

josmac Bit poster

Part of the problem is there are not good drivers for the Apple USB Modem easily available. Apple is now including drivers for the Modem in the Boot Camp beta, but I have not been able to get them to work in Parallels. I can see the modem, even partially communicate with it using AT commands, but if I try to use it, it hangs Windows/Parallels.

My solution was to make the connection I wanted on the Mac side (you could use internet connect) and then share that connection with Windows. This worked perfectly. In the Mac sharing control pane, set up internet sharing of the modem selecting Parallels en2 a the device to share to. That should allow Windows to pick up whatever is coming through the pipe.

Worked for me...

7. Lew

Lew Member

Thanks, josmac...

Your solution worked for me too.

Lew

8. Lew

Lew Member

Here's another, more simple solution, that also works well:

1. Set up a new Network Adapter with Shared Networking
    2. Plug in your Apple USB modem
    3. Connect with the internet in OSX.
    4. Wait a few seconds, then open your browser in Windows.

This setup does not require any settings to your sharing parameters.

Lew

9. surfway

surfway Bit poster

USB modem to dial non internet sites

In Australia we need to still dial into some banks to retrieve financial data using Windows only software (Quickline). So I want the Apple USB modem to be accessible as COM1 in the Windows environment but it should not be set up to access the internet which I can do through the ethernet connection.
    This would be similar to using the modem as a fax modem in windows.
    Any ideas on how to do this. Using build 3120.

10. lowtones@hotmail.com

lowtones@hotmail.com Bit poster

Did you ever solve this problem? I have not but I am close. I purchased an external USB modem but was not able to get it installed without a "Code 10" driver problem. So I'm off to the store to try a different. There is NO way to get the Apple External Modem to work as a fax modem in Parallels as they don't even make an XP driver that will recognize it. But surely there is a modem that will work. I just have not found it yet. So anyone who needs to send Faxes from within Parallels, if you've figure it out, please help!

CB

11. geoffmcw

geoffmcw Bit poster

I was glad to read others were having a similar frustration to myself with an external usb apple modem and windows xp thru parallels. Can you please elaborate on this procedure, its not working for me so I must be missing a step, its working for others but I've had no luck so far.
    I've tried adding a port in parallels console but that didn't work so I'm thinking thats not what you were suggesting.

12. rnomad

rnomad Junior Member

Apple Modem Still Not Working in 3186

I copied the modem drivers from the Apple Bootcamp drivers, and it will install. However, the modem is not responding and the first time I got a BSOD.

13. rlockhart

rlockhart Junior Member

Shared Networking may be your answer

I use a Novatel USB EVDO modem from Sprint. As far as OS X is concerned, this is just another modem. I have shared networking enabled from Parallels and both OS X and Windows are able to share the network connection.

Hope this helps.

14. rnomad

rnomad Junior Member

With the latest release I now get everything working sometimes, but there is nothing but static on the line and eventually get to no dialtone detected. Sometimes I still end up with a BSOD. I cannot use shared networking because I am dialing into a remote switch with a proprietary access protocol.

15. Robin Curtis

Robin Curtis Member

Apple Modem - Windows 2000 driver?

Anyone seen a Windows 2000 driver for the Apple Modem? Or can someone point me at the XP driver - I can't install it from the Apple Windows Drivers CD - becasue I have to be running XP to install - snookered!!

16. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

don't install windows drivers for hardware

rely on sharing and parallels Tools

I tried and failed to make the mac OS usb dial up work

now i just use ethernet hard wired to a router

3 banks all in Win XP al work well

Hugh W

17. GPWeller

GPWeller Member

Could someone please post a link to the drivers from Boot Camp 1.1.2 ? I mean the ones that they have developed for the Apple USB modem? I would like to try it with the new version of Parallels. (I know that people have not had success so far with using the drivers in Parallels.)

18. rnomad

rnomad Junior Member

Release 3.0 and Apple Modem

Still cannot get a dial tone with the Apple Modem. I can now get to the point of dialing, but the line is garbled. No dial tone recognized. I got one blue screen too randomly. I have seen the workaround, but this is something that should just work.

19. Lew

Lew Member

I upgraded to 3.0 last night. After seeing your message I fired up my Apple modem and it works as advertised. I can access the internet in both OSX and Win XP at the same time.

Are you able to access the internet using the modem in OSX? Are you able to access the internet while in Windows using your broadband connection? If you are able to do both, you should be able to access the internet from within Windows using the Apple modem.

When you attempt to connect using the modem, are you unplugging your ethernet cable and disabling your wireless connection? If not, give that a try.

I have two network adapters setup:

Network Adapter 1; Bridged Ethernet

Network Adapter 2; Shared networking​

Good luck!

Lew

20. GPWeller

GPWeller Member

Use of Apple USB modem for telephony

I wanted the Apple USB modem to dial out from my personal information manager, Amicus Attorney. I purchased Parallels to continue using the software that is made for my law practice and is not made or supported for the Mac: Amicus Attorney, PCLaw, and WordPerfect. With AA, I click-to-dial a contact, and it would be nice to be able to do that in the Parallels environment.