Parallels Tools stopped working in Win7 VM?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by John Kinsella, Jan 18, 2010.

1. John Kinsella

John Kinsella Bit poster

Hey guys -

I've had a windows 7 VM running for quite a while in Parallels Desktop for Mac 5. This morning I started the VM, the installed Parallels Tools found an update and attempted to upgrade itself. That didn't work out, and I haven't been able to get the tools re-installed since. The installer gets to where the UI states it's registering the program with the system, then something happens and it backs out the install.

Browsing the event logs, this seems to be happening at the same time the install dies:

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

John

2. ChristinaP

ChristinaP Junior Member

John,

You are not the only one having this problem. I was on the telephone with support yesterday and they could not fix the problem. I am waiting for a response. I have also submitted a ticket (since I am still within my time to do so for free) and a couple of the other forums are on the same topic.

If a parallels person looks at this string, I just did a report on it and they can look at ID 2202793. Maybe with enough people looking at this, we can get a fix sooner than later!!

3. John Kinsella

John Kinsella Bit poster

Thx Christine

Christine - Interesting to know.

Just an update - for some silly reason I just tried "upgrading" the parallels tools on a linux vm - backtrack 4 release, based on slackware. I tell Parallels it's a ubuntu machin and that's worked fine in the past. While the tools "upgraded," my mouse has lost the ability to click. Still moves around the screen, but apparently the button up/down events are not getting through.

Did somebody forget to tell us that we're beta testing?

4. BinfordsTool

BinfordsTool Junior Member

Same problem here, ticket no 857502, it's like they pushed the update to the latest build and it killed off anyone using windows 7. I asked in my latest communication for them to roll back the software (push an update that goes back to the last stable version) so that I can use parallels... I had a very sweet setup for work that now is rather useless...

5. BinfordsTool

BinfordsTool Junior Member

Posted this in another thread, just fixed my own issue.

Windows pushed an update on 1/20 that killed networking. A system restore to the 19th managed to fix my parallels tools problems and networking issues. I suggest avoiding KB978207, the culmulative update for internet explorer... rolling back and avoiding this fixed all my problems