Network: can't see Ubuntu vm?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by DarrellR, Jan 14, 2010.

1. DarrellR

DarrellR Bit poster

My Ubuntu Linux virtual machine can see it's mac host.
    The mac host can see the virtual machine.
    I can ping, vnc, ssh, and ftp both ways via bridged network connection.
    I can't see the ubuntu vm from my PC!
    Any ideas of what network settings I've got wrong?
    I tried switching from bridged network to direct then rebooted the vm with no luck so I put it back to bridged. I double checked the dhcp settings in Ubuntu (turned off laptop fly away defaults).

My Windows XP virtual machine works just fine, I can even use Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection from a WinXP client to a WinXP vm on the same mac and it works. I don't think it's the mac's firewall.

It could be corporate IT--I don't even know what questions to ask them, they are very Windows-centric.

Thanks! Great product. We switched from vmware and are looking forward to upgrading to 5.

Mac OS X Server 10.5.8
    Parallels 4.0.3848

2. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

Assuming that your Ubuntu VM does indeed (through bridged networking) obtain an IP
    address from the corporate DHCP server in the same subnet as your Mac and PC, and
    considering that you can reach the VM from your Mac, the conclusion must be that you
    should find the solution in the network settings of your Windows PC. You can check with
    the "ifconfig" command (as root) in your Ubuntu VM what that IP address is, then ask
    your corporate IT people why that address cannot be reached from your Windows PC.
    This is a "Windows-centric" question, nothing to do with Parallels or with Mac OS X.