Problem with Coherence and Crystal

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by livedream, Nov 23, 2009.

1. livedream

livedream Bit poster

I'm having an issue with the functionality of invoking the start button in both Coherence mode and Crystal mode.
    Whenever I click the Parallels Desktop start button in the dock (Coherence mode) or right click the Parallels Icon in the top bar (Crystal mode) nothing happens - meaning I need to always keep the taskbar visible in order to access the start button (Although the applications folder next to Trash works fine)

I've already tried uninstalling (and reinstalling) both Parallels tools and Parallels Desktop for Mac as per the KB articles on the site but alas the problem persists :(

Note: These buttons did originally function as intended but somewhere along the way they have decided to cease functioning

Setup:
    Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac
    Windows 7 (via Bootcamp)

2. vasilyz

vasilyz Parallels Developers

What happens when you press the command key on the keyboard with the input in the guest OS? Does the menu pop up?

3. livedream

livedream Bit poster

Thanks for your prompt response - Since posting this thread I discovered the issue (based on this thread).
    I had remapped the ctrl and cmd keys and for some reason Parallels doesn't like it (I suspect clicking the icon emulates a left cmd press so remapping the key prevented it from functioning)

Is there anyway to successfully remap the cmd and ctrl keys so that they are swapped in bootcamp but don't interfere when run in parallels?

4. vasilyz

vasilyz Parallels Developers

Yes, you are right, clicking the icon emulates a left cmd press. I suppose you do the remapping by using a program that makes the changes to the Windows registry. Currently there is no simple way to keep different mappings for cases when you run in bootcamp and in PD. You can write a shell script for your guest OS. The script will detect bios vendor at startup, and set appropriate mapping.

5. JörgV

JörgV Bit poster

I discovered also a problem that seems to be relate to either crystal or coherence mode. Once I activated these modes, my right-click is not working in the OSX applications. When I switch to Window mode, it works again.
    I run OsX 10.6.2 and Parallels 5.0.9308.

6. Eric Ellis

Eric Ellis Bit poster

Is this a theoretical suggestion, or is there a real example of this working somewhere? I would like to set this up and could use a pointer on how to do so.

7. Eric Ellis

Eric Ellis Bit poster

Rethinking this, I would greatly prefer a solution where Parallels would successfully open the start menu even when the windows registry had the command and control buttons remapped. I know that a lot of people prefer to use the keyboard in windows this way as it's more consistent for copy, paste, and other keyboard shortcuts. Seems like a very useful feature.