Suppress Windows screensaver

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Chris Shaffer, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Chris Shaffer

Chris Shaffer Junior Member

I'm running Parallels 5 on Snow Leopard in Coherence with a virtual Windows XP image. The Windows XP image is a managed workstation on our corporate network which just rolled out a mandatory 20 minute locked screensaver. (I already have a 5 minute locked screensaver on Mac, so am more secure than the new mandatory system...) At any rate, the problem is that when the Windows XP screensaver kicks in on Windows, it takes over my Mac desktop. When I click, I get the "this computer has been locked..." message from Windows. I then have to click again to get back to my Mac programs. Is there any way to suppress the Windows screensaver? I don't mind needing to enter my Windows ID/password to start using one of the few required Windows programs after the screensaver kicks in, but it's really annoying for it to take over my entire desktop. The only workaround I've found so far is to leave Windows in Window mode instead of Coherence.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

2. Chris Shaffer

Anybody have any suggestions? I've basically had to give up using Coherence or Crystal because of this problem.

3. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Chris,

You can disable screensaver in Windows XP. Just open Control Panels then Display. Select Screen Saver tab and disable it.

Alexander

4. Chris Shaffer

The screensaver tab has been disabled by group policy setting.

5. AronA

AronA Bit poster

Has this still not been resolved? I am in the exact situation as Chris and can't believe that Coherence mode won't suppress the Windows Screensaver from filling my screen yet...

Any suggestions, aside from disabling Coherence mode, as disabling the screensaver in Windows is not an option due to corporate security mandates?

Thanks!

6. Chris Shaffer

No, it hasn't been resolved yet.

7. caseyl

caseyl Bit poster