5 and XP... stopped working after update

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BrienT, Jan 19, 2010.

1. BrienT

BrienT Bit poster

It was working as good as Windows can... then I did the latest update and BAMM! Now I get the "unable to access hard disk1" error stating an input/output error.

I've looked at other posts and they speak of the hard drive having an issue and that is why it isn't acessing the hard disk image. Not true... I can restart my Mac holding the option key down and tell it to start up under windows and it runs just fine.

The problem is with Parallels.

It appears that Parallels is also generating new Hard Disk images. Meaning, it will generate a Hard Disk 2, a Hard Disk 3, etc.

I have uninstalled Parallels completely and restarted the Mac; then re-installed Parallels... the problem returned. But if I just run Windows under Boot Camp as the initial startup, all is good.

What gives? And how do I fix it?

Attached Files:

2. WilbertH

WilbertH Bit poster

Have the same problem

I experience the same problem.

When reloading a copy of a backup of last week I can start it fine. After performing a proper shutdown I receive the same error.

3. WilbertH

WilbertH Bit poster

Have the same problem...

4. BrienT

BrienT Bit poster

Has anyone else had this issue, and fixed it?

The only "fix" I've seen tells you to make a whole new installation of windows and replace the "corrupted" pvm file with the new one. But, I really hate the idea of losing everything and having to start completely over with a thousand (embellishment) software installations and font loading, etc. Because I just know that is what will have to be done... when I still believe the problem is not with Windows or my hard drive. It would be a total waste of time.

I need to get back to work... Thank GOD I still have my MacBook Pro running version 4. But I want what I paid for, and I want to work on my main MacPro where I am supposed to be without restarting back and forth.

Someone please help.

5. WilbertH

WilbertH Bit poster

After some experimenting with the script and settings in http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31859 and the KB items http://kb.parallels.com/en/5734 and http://kb.parallels.com/7096, I reinstalled the MAC completely from scratch, added Parallels without any other software running on it and copied the latest .pvm package. Still had the same error.

As before, double clicking the corrupted .pvm package opened the VM and allowed me to copy the relevant data from the corrupted package. An earlier backup did not give the error, so I started again from that back-up and loaded the copied data. That version is still running fine for a couple of days now.

So I assume the .pvm package was corrupted some way.

6. betheeem

betheeem Bit poster

Same problem here with one of my users MacBook Pro. After upgrade it will not access Hard Disk 1.

7. Jeepster

Jeepster Bit poster

I'm having the same problem as well. Hope they fix it real soon I've got work to do.

8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Might this be an issue that could be resolved by de-installing MacFUSE from the Mac's control panels? Give that a try.