Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3120 RC1 is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Adrian

Adrian Junior Member

Latest round of Beta's do not work at all ...

I have tried each Beta as it has been released, and I can say that not one of them has been able to boot my Windows XP VM. Each crash has been sent to the Parallels email, but to no avail.

The best I get when booting is the XP Booting screen ... when it goes black (to resize the window to the XP Resolution), Parallels VM crashes ...

The only way I can get it to work again is to uninstall, and revert back to the latest stable release.

I am using a Mac Mini Core Duo, 2 GB RAM (allocating 512 to Parallels, with 384 to the VM).

Looking forward to the next RC, as the latest ones just don't work.

2. drval

drval Pro

FWIW, I would suggest increasing the amount of RAM allocated to Parallels. I'm using a MacBook Pro and have 1024 allocated to Parallels. Have you tried using such an allocation?

3. mavrinan

mavrinan Junior Member

I don't think this is abnormal, or signs of a file corruption from Parallels. Since Windows 2000, Windows has Autoexec.bat and config.sys files that have zero bytes, the "real" version of these files are called "Autoexec.nt" and "config.nt". I just double checked on my BootCamp Windows partition, and those files are all zero bytes in length, and Windows boots up just fine.

4. hootjr29

hootjr29 Bit poster

Coherence WAS working with 3306 and 3120. Now it is NOT with RC1

I've been using coherence for awhile now. I've been patiently awaiting for dual monitor support for awhile now. Today I upgraded to 3120 and can no longer use coherence. I've upgraded the parallels tools, as usual. When I click on the "Coherence" button, nothing happens. Therefore, I change to Full Screen, then change back to os window, drag the window a little so that the screen changes size, then try "Coherence" again. Nothing happens.

OK, so next I think to myself, since Dual Monitor support should be working now, I'll enable that, since it is ultimately what I'm looking for. I choose "View -> Customize" and check the Dual Monitor support. Now, when I try to go to coherence mode, I see an error message that looks like this:
    Picture 2.png
    So, I'm thinking now that it has something to do with the fact that I use my DELL 2407WFP monitor as my primary monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200 and my MacBook laptop LCD monitor as my secondary monitor with 1280x800 resolution. So I changed my DELL primary monitor resolution to be 1280x800 so that both monitors have the same resolution. I tried again and receive the same error.

Any suggestions? I have a co-worker who installed RC1 on his MacBook Pro. He is successfully able to run coherence with dual monitor support and without dual monitor support. So I'm thinking that right now it has something to do with the fact that MacBook's have a different video card than the MacBook Pro's.

5. dfbills

dfbills Junior Member

Installer not adding tools 3120 to bootcamp

When installing the latest build of parallels 3120 to my Macbook Pro, the installer is not adding parallels tools for bootcamp. My virtual machine starts up, gets to the login screen, then I can't login because I don't have access to the keyboard or mouse.

Please help.

6. Adrian

Adrian Junior Member

Yes, I have set Parallels to allocate Memory itself even ... still no luck.

I would just like Parallels to read the emails it recieves from the error logs. I love the sound of all this new stuff, but I can't use it at the moment because the VM will not boot.

7. johnq@internode.on.net

johnq@internode.on.net Junior Member

I have a MACBOOK Pro, 2.33 Ghz, 2GB ram, 120 GB Disk. I have a small (10GB I think) Bootcamp partition. With Beta 2, Beta 3 and now RC1 attempting to start coherence mode causes BSOD. This happens every time and I am unable to get coherence operating. I have been unable to work out what else to tell you to make this bug report useful (any other details that you might want I would be happy to try to send you) One thing that I have noticed - when I click on the coherence button Windows crashes, restarts and goes through the files system check. When it completes all of it's stuff windows starts apartantly normally, but on OS X the bootcamp partition icon disappears from my desktop. It is nowhere to be found in Finder, or in the System preferences. Parallels can be quite happily started and stopped.

8. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

9. lostgame

lostgame Bit poster

The only reason I looked at Parallels was because of it's boot camp support, because VM's suck when you've got a two partition system working already.

To find it being a proud feature and not working whatsoever (has anyone actually got it to work?) was a real dissapointment for me.

I will not be buying the software, for me or my company, needless to say, until the bug is fixed.

10. luomat

luomat Hunter

I have BootCamp as VM working just fine. Booting to WinXP Pro.

11. lopsl

lopsl Bit poster

Photoshop CS fails to run or install under build 3120 RC1

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4 on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz with 1GB RAM
    Under Parallels Desktop for Mac build 1970, Photoshop CS installs and runs successfully in a WinXP Pro VM.
    After updating to parallels build 3120 RC1, Photoshop CS fails to run in the same VM. After uninstalling it completely from the VM, it fails to install at the very beginning of the install process.
    Created a new VM with a fresh install of WinXP Pro. Photoshop CS will not install at all either.
    I think the problem must be related to how the new build is seen by the installer.
    On the other hand Photoshop 7 installs and runs successfully in both builds 1970 and 3120 RC1

12. rhind

rhind Member

I had bootcamp working just fine in 3120 (had trouble in 3094 and earlier0 but a fresh install in bootcamp and then set up in 3120 worked fine. But I don't use it because I don't need boot camp features and have a disk image file that I can back up easily and duplicate is easier for me for now.

But I'd like to point out that this is an RC (release candidate) so not a final released product. If you don't like using software that may contain issues, wait for the final release. Otherwise just post specific issues to try and help the Parallels development team fix them for the final release.

Posts like this just aren['t helpful to anyone.

Cheers

Russell

13. Swift2001

Swift2001 Member

I've got a bug

This is pretty consistent. I run a Mac G5 2.0, and a Mac mini (Intel, Core Duo 1.66 Mhz witha gig of RAM), on an iOGear KVM switch, the model that looks like the Mac mini.

With RC1, if I start Parallels and load my XP in bootcamp, it all works perfectly. If I switch to the other computer for any appreciable length of time -- longer than the sleep period on the mini, I suspect, when I go back to the mini, Parallels has become unresponsive and I can't do anything but force quit. A no-no, but there's nothing else to do. I've tried waiting. Nothing gets me out of it.

14. markintosh13

markintosh13 Member

MBP 2.33 C2D + FAT32 Windows XP Bootcamp partition + RC1 3210 = nice. It works as advertised, coherence mode and all.

15. Synapco

Synapco Bit poster

USB Devices That Did Work Now Don't...

From the beginning, I never had a problem with my Hitachi 60Gb USB/FW400 Travelstar removable drive nor my Lexar 2Gb Jumpdrive working. With RC1 that has changed - neither device shows up in "My Computer" though both devices load and appear under Devices, USB. Also:

1. The Travelstar - when loaded but not showing - allows me to continue to use other programs and I can switch from an OS Window to Full Screen and back and or into Coherence.

2. Lexar - locks the entire Windows program. Does not crash the window - just locks it. If I manually remove the device - everything starts to work correctly.

Not certain if others have encountered this and just wanted to share my problem so that Parallels can look into this as they are dubugging other items.

Great product with fantastic potential. :)

16. Drewmangroup

Drewmangroup Member

My GPS now works with USB now. I have a Mio 310X and it used to drop the UDB connection. I wasn't able to transfer files to it. Now it completely works and I can transfer files to it. Very cool. Coherence is awesome too. I have told anyone that has a Mac and needs Windows to buy your product.

17. fun12try

fun12try Bit poster

Parallels Tools installation overlay warning each boot!

I am running XP from Parallels 3120 off a Bootcamp partition, and each time I boot it seems to go through the Parallels Tools installation (showing the Parallels overlay warning about the installation). Otherwise, all seems to be fine.

I've seen a couple of people post about this symptom, but no responses. Is this normal behavior?? If not, any ideas about what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks for answering!

18. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

fun12try wrote: "each time I boot it seems to go through the Parallels Tools installation (showing the Parallels overlay warning about the installation)."
    ===

If you read the message more closely, you will realize it is initializing Parallels Tools, not installing them. So you should see this on fresh boots every time.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  19. jmpalomar

jmpalomar Bit poster

Solaris 10 fails to install

Solaris 10 fails to install using 3120 RC1 build.

Install DVD boots correctly, graphic environment starts as well but when asks you for CD/DVD it says it does not recognize CD/DVD as a Solaris Install CD/DVD.

I uninstalled RC1 and reinstall 1970 build and it worked correctly.

20. BillInSoBe

BillInSoBe Member

What are the power settings in your Windows XP VM? I would suggest turning OFF power management and the screen saver in Windows XP. That Mac OS handle that itself.

Hopefully that will address the problem.