iso file will not install

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by edwardlotz, Jan 20, 2007.

1. edwardlotz

edwardlotz Bit poster

Trying to install Vista...have my iso file or .img file used on my windows machines....I can mount it on my Mac...but Parallels will not see it when I point to it...

so I opened disk manager and converted it to a dmg format....Parallels can now see it...but when I try to use it to install a new instance....it boots and says a bootable drive is not available.

Any thoughts on how to get around this..or how to burn a bootable dvd from this image file?

Thanks

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Don't mount it.

3. edwardlotz

edwardlotz Bit poster

its not mounted....still get no boot device available. when I mount it...all the files are there...and looks exactly like the .img file mounted.

4. gjlamb

gjlamb Bit poster

I have the same problem. I'm trying to install Vista Enterprise 32 bit into my Parallels build 3188 and keep getting boot from CD/DVD-Rom failed. I'm pointing the new configuration to boot from the iso file.

Any suggestions??

Greg

5. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

Can't mount .img files, convert using Disk Utility

I couldn't figure out how to open a .img file in parallels (they mount easily in the Finder), so I opened the disc image in Disk Utility and converted it to a CD/R Master file (.cdr) which was recognised by Parallels.

Obviously Parallels supports .cdr and .dmg images, but does not support .img files.... I don't really understand the differences between them - they should all work. :(