One more key mapping please! :)

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by David Graham, Jan 16, 2007.

1. David Graham

David Graham Junior Member

The placement of the Alt and Windows keys are reversed in Parallels for Mac compared to a regular Windows PC. For those of us Mac users who are heavy Windows users, all of my muscle-memory for keyboard navigation is severely handicapped. I found it odd to find the Ctrl/Command mapping since that seems far less useful.

Thanks!

2. wbrimhall

wbrimhall Bit poster

Agreed...!

I can't agree more...!

I'm used to both platforms -- and used to where the respective keys are. I'd love the ability to do the following to things:

-- Have Parallels automatically switch the Cmd and Option keys inside the Windows VM -- so that the Alt and Windows keys are where I'd expect them to be in Windows when using a Mac keyboard.

-- Have an easy option to switch the Cmd and Option keys on the Mac side so that I can use a Windows keyboard with the Mac. (Note that this would be separate from the option above -- as I'd to use this option with a Windows keyboard to switch them on the Mac side -- and then the option above to switch them back in the Windows VM.) Ideally, this option could be on a per-keyboard basis so that the internal MacBook keyboard stays the same, but the external Windows keyboard gets switched.

3. wbrimhall

wbrimhall Bit poster

Yet another key mapping...

It would also be great if you could allow a key (such as the right Cmd key) to be remapped to a 'right click' -- so that a right click can be easily done when using an internal MacBook keyboard and trackpad.

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

A click with two fingers on the trackpad will be interpreted as a right click both by the guest, and OSX.

5. drval

drval Pro

I'm not finding this to work currently in Windows using build 3120. Any settings I should check?

6. David Graham

Swamp cmd/ctrl

You can already do this using the Keyboard & Mouse Preference pane. Just click on the Modifier Keys button.

- Dave

7. David Graham

Gotta enable the feature

The two-fingered right-click is not a Parallels feature; it's an OS X feature. It might require hardware support, so it may not work for all Power/MacBooks. In Keyboard & Mouse prefs, go to the Trackpad tab and enable "Tap trackpad using two fingers for seconday click".

- Dave

8. drval

drval Pro

Yes, I've seen in when on the Mac side but never on the Windows side under Paralles. But I'll check the config again. Thanks