Unable to Access Disk 1 -Parallels 5 with XP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Purplish, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

I recently upgraded to Parallels 5. It worked OK until I installed the latest Windows XP update. At that point, I began getting "Unable to Access Disk 1". I ran a disk verification using Disk Utility and it said the Node Structure was damaged and could not be repaired.

I searched the forums and there appeared to be no solution, although there was a KB Article for a similar issue with Parallels 4.

So I decided to Repartition, reformat, and reinstall Snow Leopard. Then I restored a backup from SuperDuper. Then I Uninstalled Parallels 5. Then rebooted. Then I reinstalled Parallels 5. Then reinstalled Windows XP Pro SP2 from the original disk. This worked so far.

Then I tried to use Windows Update to bring XP up to date. When trying to install XP SP3, I got the same error message "Unable to Access Disk 1 - Error ID: Input Output Error". And Disk Utility tells me me the Mac internal drive has Node Structure damaged and cannot be repaired.

Has anyone experienced this, and how did you get around it? I hope there is a fix, but I fear I need to either replace Quicken with a Mac product .

2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

It seems there would be two options in tracking this down. 1) It's a Mac Problem. 2) It's a Parallels or Windows Problem. Because of how critical this is to me I have been working both angles.

Evidence for Parallels: It occurs when running Parallels. No Mac apps affected.
    Evidence for Mac: Mac hard drive is fast at Reads, but slow at Writes. Backups and restores take a long time. Installing Snow Leopard took 6 hours (should take 45 minutes). Parallels mentions hard drive as the issue.

Today I took my Mac to an Apple Genius. He diagnosed a bad hard drive. They are replacing it but it will take about a week. I am hopeful that with the new hard drive, the Parallels issue will go away.

I am considering my issue solved for now. If I have an issue with Parallels after getting the new drive, I will start another thread.