Shared Folder Tool

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by pompair, Aug 19, 2006.

1. pompair

pompair Bit poster

I installed Parallels Desktop for Mac beta. I tried setting up a shared folder to swap files between host and guest OS's. Unfortunately I can't find the Shared Folder Tool! Only tool I have in "Parallels" directory is Image Tool. Where can I find Shared Folder Tool?

2. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Once setup, your parallels shared folders should show up in Explorer as a normal windows folder at the same level as My Computer and My Network.

3. pompair

pompair Bit poster

Hi and thanks for an answer. Well, I tried it again: set up a folder Parallels/Configuration Editor and run the VM, looked explorer for an folder where you told...and it just doesn't seem to work. Does some special setting be turned on from OS X Sharing settings? I only have Personal File Sharing enabled.

4. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Don't think you need anything on OSX side. You have installed Parallels Tools, correct?

5. mbrenn3

mbrenn3 Bit poster

I am havig the same problem. I cannot find the shared folder in XP.

6. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Question, did you have the shared folder defined on the Mac side prior to installing Parallel Tools.

If you didn't you will need to right click on the parallel tools icon (bottom right by clock) and click open and then click enabled, now if have done this and still dont have the short cut

you can go to program files/parallels and create a short cut from there

or you can do what i did and uninstall parallel tools
    go to Guest Setup and delete the Entry for shared, then i recreated the entry
    and then went into XP and reinstalled the tools
    I had to do this when i got the beta.

Hope this helps

7. Sherminator

Sherminator Bit poster

Parallels Tools is optionally installed into the guest operating system.

To do this, whilst Parallels is running your selected OS (Windows preferably, I havent tried this with any other OS) return mouse control to OSX, and select "Install Parallels Tools ..." from the "VM" menu. This will force an installer to run in the guest OS, which will install a utility to setup many things, including the ability to access the folders that you setup to share.

8. cavenewt

cavenewt Bit poster

It took me a little fiddling to get a shared folder to work. I ended up creating it on the Mac side first, then in Parallels click Edit, then Shared Folder, then make sure you have the correct path to the folder in the Mac hierarachy.

Now if only I could get Tivo Desktop to see the shared folders (I'll post a separate question about that.) Other Windows apps see them ok...

9. Hiohokaybye

Hiohokaybye Junior Member

grr...

i still can't find the shared folders tool... can any one help me /w it maybye post some picture or something please?? Thanks :confused: :confused:

10. djc

djc Bit poster

Same problem, easily solved once I followed prior posts

So, the trick is that you have to have your windows OS running in Parallels.
    Once it is running, release the mouse to get to the Parallels Mac toolbar, pull down the VM menu and pick "Install Parallels Tools..."

It will run a program within the Windows Guest OS that makes it run better. You need to reboot the Windows OS, I think then I went into the Windows diretory tree: Program Files>Parallels>Parallels Tools and there are a bunch of useful things in there to play with. I think all I did was double click on the "Parallels Shared Folders"

and within My Network Places you will find Parallels Shared Folder, and within that, your shared folder.

At least, that worked for me (thanks to the prior posts).

dc

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007