cannot install windows 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tokyoo, Dec 13, 2009.

1. tokyoo

tokyoo Bit poster

I am evaluating parallels 5 with a windows 7 iso that I know is good because I booted it in Vmware. In parallels it runs setup and shows me this window:

Select the Operating System you want to install:

There are no images available.

Any ideas?

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Hello!

This is rather strange. Where did you get that ISO? I'd like to take a look at this issue, but without that ISO it would be difficult to do.

As a workaround, you can try to "Skip Detection" of your OS (File -> New -> Skip Detection -> Manually choose OS type) and install it without help of the installation assistant.

Thank you,
    Max

3. I-che

I-che Pro

tokyoo, can you please provide screenshot of exact error message you receive when trying to isntall Windows 7 from ISO image?

4. SocialC

SocialC Bit poster

I am having a similar issue. It's windows that cant see the image - not parallels - and the problem occurs during the very first step (where you have to select the operating system under the "collecting data" phase). How do we resolve it? the forum doesn't let me to upload a screenshot (only web images) but I would be happy to send one.
    The ISO was downloaded from the MS Bizspark website
    Nikos
    http://www.socialcaddy.com

5. darshie76

darshie76 Bit poster

I bet that you are trying to install a copy of W7 64 bit on parallels....

VMWare supports 64 bit OS also on Mac that would not be able to install it natively, due their EFI at 32 bit (an example is the mac pro 1.1, that has the EFI at 32 bit, while the following models has all the EFI at 64 bit).

I have W7 32 and 64 and i have no problems installing the 32 bit version on the mac pro, but i cannot install the 64, no matter what, unless i use VMWare

SocialC, your issue is basically the second issue that follows the one where you cannot start the installation that tokyoo mentioned; in some cases is possible to get a build of W7 64 that was modified, so it starts but when you reach the point of selecting where you want to install it, you get the error message that ask you for drivers, and you drive list is empty, even if you created a disk image or partitioned a real disk.

as far as i know, there is no way to fix this....is not Parallel's fault but the hardware and Apple that doesn't want to support 64 bit OS from M$ on old machines...some are able to install it using hacks or various procedures; i would suggest to save time and just use the 32 bit version.

My copy is a normal retail copy of W7; and the same apply for Vista 64; the 32 bit version works fine.

6. SocialC

SocialC Bit poster

Thanks for the response - it seems however that my new MacBook Pro is 64-bit ...
    Now I have a different type of problem - I managed with different settings to go through the installation - but this time it doesn't recognize the key (says wrong SKU). I also asked MS about it..

7. darshie76

darshie76 Bit poster

SocialC; all the machines are 64 bit capable starting from the mac pro 2006 and macbook/mbp; but some has the EFI that is still at 32 for stability reasons; so is never a matter of checking one component when you want to classify a machine as 32 or 64 ;)

check this app at this url:http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.htmlhttp://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

It has a lot of useful info and the site has info too ;)

If it doesn't recognize the key is something wrong with the combination OS/Key...parallels or the mac has nothing to do with this; try checking with MS, or even better, check with bizspark; i would suggest you to get M$ stuff via technet subscription, if your company can buy a subscription

8. SocialC

SocialC Bit poster

so you must be right re: 32-bit

btw I installed the 32bit edition - and the problem with the serial (and other installation issues) vanished. Apparently they were connected in a mysterious Microsoft way.

Thanks again,
    www.socialcaddy.com

9. darshie76

darshie76 Bit poster

Glad that the 32 bit works for you

After all the 64 bit has always been a problem....and except the 2 Gb limit, i never had the need to get a 64 bit (even if is cool, since my processor support it).

If you want to experience the difference, just buy a cheap desktop and you will see that there is not too much of a difference ;)

10. MadisonW

MadisonW Bit poster

Had the same issue with x86 version - FIXED IT

I was experiencing the same issue. I moved the Windows 7 iso file to the 'Parallels' directory in my 'Documents' folder and windows was able to find the image. This is the default location that Parallels installs virtual machines, so if you specified a different location, place the iso in the folder you selected and it should work.

11. darshie76

darshie76 Bit poster

Madison,

the issue that you had is kinda weird; never had any problem with the iso location :) but i guess that there is always a 1st time...for Parallels it doesn't matter where you have the image; probably was more like a matter of permission maybe, or probably you were loading the image from the wrong location.

Anyway if it works is good ;)

12. Shaun V

Shaun V Bit poster

hmmm i have a X86 version and having the same issues of "cannot locate image file". I tried moving it into the parallels folder in documents, still no go...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  13. darshie76

darshie76 Bit poster

Shaun, not sure what do you mean by "cannot locate image file"...are you installing parallels using the wizard or manually?

All that you have to do is to follow the steps, then load the image when the program ask you if you want to use a real cd or an image and then it goes automagically :)

The problem that the original user had was probably that he was installing the 64 bit version on a machine that does not support it (mac pro 1.1 for example); the 32 bit should work without issue....i have installed it already 5 times in the past month and it works flawlessly with parallels 4.

post more info so we can help ;)

14. Shaun V

Shaun V Bit poster

i dont know what i did differently, it was the same issues as the OP was having.... but all of a sudden it started installing perfectly, and works great

15. DarrinE

DarrinE Bit poster

Start over

An earlier poster suggested you 'skip detection'. I deleted the Win7 VM and just started over- selecting the 'skip detection' at the beginning and it worked. My guess is that the windows install disk had multiple images 'wim' files. Maybe x64 and 32, Pro, ultimate, etc.. and Parallels got confused by trying to run with some default.

16. RemoP

RemoP Bit poster

I found it's something to do with the floppy disk setting. It seems to get confused regarding the scsi controller. Disconnect the floppy drive in device settings and try it again. Worked for me.

17. Lawrence Keyes

Lawrence Keyes Bit poster

Disconnect Floppy Disk

>>>disconnect the floppy disk.

Many thanks! This worked for with a 64 bit copy of Windows Home. (I'm trying to test an installation for a Brother All-In-One printer/fax/scanner which requires 64 bit drivers.

Indeed I agree with other posters that the 64 bit version is more trouble than it is worth.

18. GeorgeW2

GeorgeW2 Bit poster

Yep, it worked

As the previous poster indicated, disconnecting the floppy drive worked. Thanks so much for the suggestion!!

I'd like to plead with everyone to please not tell us we are not having a problem when we can see the problem right in front of our faces. It's great if your install went off without a hitch - and if you don't have any ideas to help us that's ok - but please don't insult our intelligence by telling us that because your install worked, ours must have worked too.

19. NataleeS

NataleeS Bit poster

Floppy Disconnect is the Solution

I recently purchased Parallels 6 & Windows 7 Ultimate; tried to install Windows 7 on my (brand new) 2011 MacBook Air. I received the same error message "there are no images available" I read this thread and tried to put the files in the Parallels folder in documents. That did not work. But if you Select Virtual Machine > Configure > Floppy Disk > Uncheck the Connected box and try to install again. It worked for me.

Now that I am in My System says I have a 32bit Operating System, so I don't know if the problem is really 64bit, but anyways it worked.

-Nat

20. MarthinusS

MarthinusS Bit poster

Same proble x86

I have the same problem. Will try the floppy thing.

Also I agree with George, forums are for helping people, so if you don't know, don't assume other people are stupid, just hold your tongue.