Windows XP Has slowed to a crawl

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gjlazar, Feb 3, 2010.

1. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

1. A few months ago I lost my VM during an upgrade of prallels to parallels 4.0. I had backups of my drive but couldn't find my VM anywhere even when using the search command on the hard drive and wound up reinstalling windows XP and some of my software. Recently I stumbled on a file called Parallels.pvm in my Library folder of my mac under my user name. I clicked on it and it opened my old VM except that it opens at a snails pace. Everything is there as it was before the crash I mentioned above. I would like to revert to that VCM (because it has some software I did not reinstall) except it runs so slow in startup. I am talking about more than 5 minutes to start. Is there any way to fix it to run like it used to? the new VCM I created to replace it still runs ok.
    2. What is the proper way to rename a VM? Can I just go to the finder and change the name of the file? I noticed that if you moved the VM file (like n the case above from the Library folder to my parallels documents folder Parallels could not find it again automatically ...but I was able to guide it to the new location.

2. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi gjlazar,
    what version of Parallels Desktop are you using now? In any case, as a very first recommendation, please try to update Parallels Tools (remove any entry from Add/Remove Programs list, restart VM, isntall Parallels Tools from Virtual Machine menu).

3. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

Reinstall tools

I did that and it seemed to help, however I did not use add/remove software. Do you advise redoing the tools reinstall using add/remove?
    I am using Parallels 4.0.3048.
    Have you any clue as to why the update lost track of my virtual machine, or why it wound up in my MacHD/User/Library/Parallels/Parallels.pvm? Did I do something wrong in the update process? Before the upgrade it was in my documents Parallels folder and was called WindowsXP.pvm. I wound up reinstalling windows XP and reinstalling all my software then, this week I found the old file in the Library!

4. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi gjlazar,
    yes, please try to remove Parallels Tools via Add/Remove programs and install them from Virtual Machine menu.
    MacHD/User/Library/Parallels/ has been default location of virtual machine in version Parallels Desktop 2.x and 3.x, so this should be your old VM. Apparently it is already converted to version 4 format.