Error 1935 Installing MS Access

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Lobo_79, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobo_79

Lobo_79 Bit poster

I'm trying to install the full version of MS Office Access on my Mini Mac running Snow Leopard, Parallels 5, and Windows 7 and I get this Error 1935. The installation never completes. Any suggestions?

Another clue: I went to the MS site looking for troubleshooting assistance and the published response was to repair the microsoft.net frameworks 2.0 installation. But when I go to the control panel and drill down through the Add/Remove programs I don't see microsoft.net frameworks shown under the list of installed programs. I'm wondering if my Windows install was done correctly.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi Lobo_79,
    normally, this error is solved by applying Microsoft Knowledgebase article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926804 .
    With Windows 7, things are different. You could try to do the following:
    1. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > click Turn Windows Features on or off
    2. Click the box next to Microsoft.NET Framework to remove component
    3. Click OK, restart Windows
    Try to install Office; if it fails, try to enable Microsoft.NET and install Office.

3. Lobo_79

Lobo_79 Bit poster

Good morning and thanks for the feedback. I saw this KB article last night and that's where I think my problem is. I'm with you through your step 1. But when you click 'Turn Windows Feature On or Off" no programs actually show up in that window. I'm logged in as an administrator but I don't have the option to turn these features on or off.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.

4. I-che

I-che Pro

5. Lobo_79

Lobo_79 Bit poster

Thanks again I-che. I'll try this later today when I get home. After careful examination of the factors leading up to this problem I've concluded it is most like something I did - or didn't do - during the Window 7 guest OS installation. Let me explain:

When I got to the choice for either the Express Install or the Custom Install I chose the custom install. I did this because the Parallels documentation said if you were installing Win XP or Vista to use the Express install function. Since I was installing Win 7 I assumed I should use the custom install. I'll try the KB 931712 later but I'm beginning to believe I'll need to create a new VM and delete the old one. Great theory...I'll see if it works.

Thanks again and have a nice day. I'll post my results.

6. Lobo_79

Lobo_79 Bit poster

Problem resolved by creating a new VM and deleting the old. Thanks I-che...you helped me come to the right conclusion.

7. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi Lobo_79,
    thank you for update. However, have you tried to apply MS support article before rebuilding VM? Type of installation mode (Express, Custom) does not affect Windows features installed, so the problem should be something different.

8. Lobo_79

Lobo_79 Bit poster

I-che,

Since I didn't have a lot of effort invested in installing a guest OS on my Mac Mini I decided to start over and create a second VM. The installation went a lot smoother and I was able to install MS Office Access as I had intended.

Once I verified my two applications (MS Access and ArcGIS 9.3) were running okay I deleted my first VM. If this exercise has done anything for me it has caused me to really appreciate the Mac OS. Regrettably I needed a VM to run some Windows applications so Parallels it was. It works.

Thanks again...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.