Upgrade 4-5: Windows XP Blue Screen of Death at Boot

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Don Chapman, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Don Chapman

Don Chapman Bit poster

I have a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac, with 2GB of memory. Running OSX 10.6.2

I have been running Parallels version 4 and did what appeared to be a successful upgrade to version 5.

My VM version of Windows is XP, including all the updates.

After installation of the upgrade, XP appeared to begin to boot normally. Part way through the booting process, with the XP Splash screen still evident, the booting process crashes and displays the blue screen, with the following error message:

STOP: 0x000000E1 (0x8057EA01, 0x00000002, 0x000000000, 0x80568CC0)

Efforts to boot into the various safe modes also resulted in the blue screen.

I did a clean install of Windows XP under a new VM. That installation works fine.

After a reboot of the iMac, the original problem still persists.

Any suggestions for getting the original VM operating would be helpful, as there are aspects of that installation I would like to preserve.

Thanks

2. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello Don,

Please follow the article below in regards to the issue:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/6873

Also, under the hardware tab select Floppy-Disk and remove it. You will find it under Virtual Machine -> Configure.

3. Don Chapman

Don Chapman Bit poster

==========
    Hi:

I found the above referenced article worked well and my former VM is up and running. I did not need to remove the Floppy Disk, but will look at that.

In the meantime, I sent the following suggestion to the authors of the article referenced in the suggestion.

========
    After posting to the forum with a problem upgrading between Parallels 4 & 5, I was referred to http://kb.parallels.com/en/6873.

I believe that I had seen this article before, while seeking to solve my problem, but did not recognize it as a solution to my problem for two reasons:

1. The description of the problem (above) was not sufficiently generic to cause me to be CONFIDENT that my problem was the same as that described. In my case, the error displayed was not " IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Blue Screen of Death is displayed". I did have a blue screen during the boot phase, but not this particular error message.

2. Notwithstanding the above, I did look at my Configuration options, but I 'missed' the part which said to shut down the virtual machine. So, when I looked at the Processor options, the selection was greyed out. My inattention to the "shut down" instructions, as well as my uncertainty about the nature of my problem, caused me to think that I had a different problem and I did not see these instructions as specific to my case.

At the very least, I would like the above instructions to show "Shut Down" in bold, and perhaps make reference to looking at the configuration options menu ONLY on the opening splash screen, and NOT while the VM is in the boot process.
    ========

Thanks for the assistance.

Don Chapman

4. Matthew Bourne

Matthew Bourne Bit poster

Still No Joy!

Hi,

I've upgraded from v4 to v5 but still getting blue screen. I've checked the CPU is set to 1 and floppy disc is un-checked.

Any other ideas?

I'm installing fresh XP VM but would like to get the original up and running if possible.

cheers

Matt