WinXP session cannot see USB sound device

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MikeD, Jan 21, 2007.

1. MikeD

MikeD Bit poster

I guess there's a simple solution to this but I can't find it. I'm using build 1970. I have a USB sound device (Edirol UA-101) but when I try to use this in my Parallels WinXP session I get the message "USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process." I don't have any other application running under my Mac OS X 10.4.8 session.

What do I need to do to enable me to use my UA-101 in my WinXP session?

2. modular747

modular747 Member

If you look in the OS X System Preferences for the Sound settings, the device probably shows up there and is being used in OS X. Try plugging it in after starting the WinXP VM, with the mouse focus in the VM window - it should be captured by the VM. What kind of "sound device" is it? Parallels 1970 doesn't support isosynchronous sound and video devices and it may not work there. If the device inputs sound into the system (i.e. microphone), you might get it to work by letting OS X use in. The sound output from OS X feeds the Default Audio "input device" on the WinXP VM. Parallels 3120 does support some, but definitely not all, isosynchronous USB devices.

3. MikeD

MikeD Bit poster

The OS X System Preferences all have "Internal Speakers" selected for "Sound Effects" and "Output", and "Internal microphone" for "Input". Currently I only want to use the outputs of the UA-101 in my Parallels WinXP session.

The device has a power switch and what I have just tried is as follows:
    1. Turned off UA-101
    2. Shutdown the Parallels Virtual Machine (WinXP)
    3. Closed all applications on the Mac and restarted the Mac
    4. Started Parallels
    5. Started the Virtual Machine (WinXP)
    6. Logged in to WinXP
    7. With focus still in the WinXP session I turned on the UA-101
    8. Got message "USB Device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process"
    9. Went back to the Mac System Preferences and confirmed that the "Internal speakers" and "Internal microphone" were still selected. Noted that the UA-101 is now listed (but not selected).
    It's as if something in the Mac environment is grabbing the device before Parallels gets it. Any ideas?

4. RichardJay

RichardJay Bit poster

Apple USB Modem

Parallels does not recognize the Apple USB Modem. The message received is "USB device you are trying to connect to virtual machine is being used by another process....If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually". What device could be blocking it?