Sharing a 3G modem to Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by denish, Jul 2, 2009.

1. denish

denish Bit poster

Hi,

I've got a 3G modem stick from Vodafone in the UK and it's really useful for accessing the internet on the move. I can access the internet from my Mac at speeds sometimes faster than my home broadband.

However, when I'm running Parallels, it doesn't register the network at all. In Windows XP it says "This connection has limited or no connectivity". I've tried Shared and Bridged networking but neither of them work. I've tried going into the Internet Sharing in the Mac Preferences, but that only gives me the option of sharing it over the Airport or the Ethernet.

I've got Mac OS 10.5.7 and Parallels 4.0.3844.

Thanks in advance,
    Denis

PS I also have the same problems as many others about prl_vm_app eating up at least 40% of the CPU even when nothing's really happening in Windows. I'm very fed up about this. I've tried most of the fixes suggested with much luck.

2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

What is the exact modem model? Is there a Windows driver available? If Internet sharing is enabled on Mac OS X, then basically Windows should be able to pickup this connection in Shared mode.

I would suggest you to submit a support ticket at http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/ with the detailed description on the problem.

3. petro

petro Member

Huawei 3G Vodafone Uk Card

I just bought a Vodafone 3G card that runs as a modem on my MacOS 10.6 laptop. The network interface doesn't present itself to Parallels, and I'm not quite sure how to get a "shared" connection working.

Do you mean that on the Mac side, I go and start Internet Sharing? I share the Huawei network connection, but do I share it to my Ethernet, my Airport, or is there some other virtual adapter representing Parallels I should be sharing it to? I don't see any other adapters!

Thanks,
    -pete

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    Actually, if you are using Shared Networking and either Parallels Desktop 5.0 or recent Parallels Desktop 4.0, then networking should work in VM without any tuning. No need to configure anything.

5. denish

denish Bit poster

You can also use the 3G stick in Windows directly

The other thing that you can do is, when you plug the stick in, tell Parallels to mount it in Windows rather than on the Mac. Windows then sees it and you can install the software directly off the stick and connect from inside Windows.

Obviously the Mac doesn't see it, but if you temporarily want to be able to connect Windows to the outside world (and use a VPN for example), it works fine.

As a bonus, you get to use the richer Windows interface to find information about how much data you've used, send and receive SMS messages etc.

Hope this helps

6. petro

petro Member

It works

Huh. Don't ask me why I tried to over-complicate things. It does just work in shared networking mode... Thanks!