P3 > P5: May take a long time: How long is "a long time"?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Paul Williams, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Paul Williams

Paul Williams Bit poster

MacBook 2GHz - 4GB RAM/160GB HDD - OS X 10.6.2

Yes. I know. It takes a long time and I've got a 32GB XP partition converting in 14GB of free space here. But, this has been stuck at the middle of "Stage 2 of 4" for 24 hours now.
    The Parallels icon in the dock is still doing its pinwheel thing. And the upgrade window is still cycling the "Take the time to learn about the new features..." messages. So do I wait for this to complete?

Do I remove all my music and video to chivvy this thing along?

What's YOUR story on how long it's taken to convert a Parallels 3 image to 5?

2. Paul Williams

Paul Williams Bit poster

Actually, a couple of minutes after posting that it asked me a question about compressing disk space. So I clicked "Yes" and now it's gone back to the pinwheel/2-of-4. I think I'm just going to wait another 24 hours!

3. Paul Williams

Paul Williams Bit poster

Actually... seven days on, it's still stuck there.
    *sigh*
    Rebooting...

4. Paul Williams

Paul Williams Bit poster

So a reboot gave it the kick up the backside it needed. Disk compress/converted, now back working.
    Eh. So it works in Snow Leopard (great), I am not seeing any difference in operating speeds though (meaning, Outlook 2007 still handles like an elephant on an ice rink!).

5. Grandpa Jim

Grandpa Jim Junior Member

Stuck on Step 2 of 4 also

I've got similar sounding problem
    Sat on Step 2 of 4 Searching for Hardware for an hour. Now locked up with Activate Windows open & can't close.

Two times earlier the process had stopped and wanted to Activate the Windows software. I tried doing that but the Connection to the Internet couldn't complete (don't know why I had used previously when under 3.0)... so I picked, remind me later or something like that and proceeded. When the process hung up this last time stuck on Step 2 of 4 Searching for new devices, I clicked on Lock icon as suggested by one troubleshooting article.

This brought up the "Lets Activate Windows" window again, but now clicking on any of the choice buttons doesn't cause them to be activated, so the "next" button doesn't work either, nor can I close the window with the upper right red X box. Control Alt brings back the cursor, but when I click on any of the choice buttons, they don't respond. The gray bar at the bottom of the windows says Parallel Tools are not installed. If I try to install them using the pull down menu at the top, nothing appears to happen. Can't seem to do anything to get out of this "locked up" state. HELP!

6. Grandpa Jim

Grandpa Jim Junior Member

I did the no-no of Stopping the Virtual Machine and restarting, and it started doing the conversion again. When it stalled again after 1/2 hour, I clicked lock to go to Manual mode, saw it again wanted to Activate Windows. This time, for whatever reason, when I clicked activate over the Internet, it did Connect and Activate, and the process went on to completion.