Parallels 5 crashes with Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ErikR, Nov 10, 2009.

1. ErikR

ErikR Junior Member

My Windows 7 keeps crashing. I built the operating system source from a Boot Camp Partition. I used 2 cpus and 4 gb of memory (later tried switching to 1 cpu but had same problem). It would boot up to the desktop and soon after pop up messages would appear about programs not loading and then saying "Windows has encounted a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work." I then booted up to the actual partition and in MSCONFIG turned all the startup items off. Back in OSX I launched Parallels but was still having some immediate problems until I uninstalled the Kaspersky Internet Security. I then installed Parallels version of Internet Security, but it still has problems. I keep getting a message about Previous Application Launch Failed, and it wants me to upload info to Kaspersky. I turned off Kaspersky, but I still crash after a few minutes or if I try working with any programs in Windows 7. Any ideas?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Bit poster

Ditto

I just installed Parallels Internet Security in my Win 7 VM, and now it's crashing like crazy on me with the same symptom. The thing was running fine until I installed the security, but it crashes when I try to uninstall it.

It got partially through an uninstall before crashing last time, so now Parallels Internet Security shows up in Programs and Features, but when I click the Uninstall link, it tells me I can only do that for software that is installed.

Help!

3. bigdog5142

bigdog5142 Bit poster

I am getting a total Parallels 5 crash when attempting to install a Bible program named Glo Bible. Windows 7 doesn't even crash, Parallels just crashes and closes down. No shut down, anything...it just closes. Doesn't even indicate an error. What gives?

4. ReinhartS

ReinhartS Bit poster

Any solutions yet?

Good morning, samething happens to me all the time.
    Has anybody found a solution to the problem yet? Uninstalling KIS might be difficult as it is very important when operating Windows 7 from Bootcamp directly?
    That is what I am doing now most of the time. Parallels unfortunately does not give me neither solution nor support to the issues the name originated from: parallel ...

Pls advise if any of you has a solution. Thanks

5. Jason Doan

Jason Doan Bit poster

Not Acceptable

I'm getting random crashing myself. Fairly new install and everything. Brand Spanking new Macbook Pro with upgraded processor, and I'm getting speed issues too. I really don't feel that Element 5 are reacting to these kinds of issues quickly enough. I've always been a Parallels customer due to features and such, but I'm seriously considering another hypervisor if stability continues as it has.

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please try to upgrade to the latest build of Parallels Desktop 5.0 (so far it is 9310) - there was fixed a crashing-problem while functioning on new hardware

7. Locito

Locito Bit poster

Hi

Im Using Mac Pro and i still get same issue.. Why does this keep happening?

Pararell Desktop is updated as well.

Here is my Mac Pro Specs

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Processor name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed : 2,26 GHz
    Total Processors: 2
    Cores: 8
    RAM: 16 GB
    Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870
    VRAM : 512 MB

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Yes, the fix in 9310 is supposed to be applied exactly for hardware like this. Could you send a problem report when you will meet this issue? The problem report can be sent using menu Help -> "Report a Problem". Please post here its id.

9. Locito

Locito Bit poster

Report has been sent.

The ID is 3193937.

10. ReinhartS

ReinhartS Bit poster

Latest version?

Thanks for the advice to update to build 9310.
    The latest german version available on the website still is 9308...

It is definitely an Kaspersky issue as after virtual machine crash booting directly into the bootcamp partition windows an info message by KIS 2010 appears stating a program crash on previous boot attempt...

Anybody has a suggestion yet on how many cores to use? How much RAM? Is this a way to stabilize the thing?
    Support ticket is running with both Kaspersky labs and Parallels support, but not resolved yet.

Kaskpersky suggests to change the boot sequence of system drivers...

Regards from germany

Reinhart

11. Locito

Locito Bit poster

How is it going? Did you get my report?

12. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Sorry, there are holidays here so I've just read the message.

According to the report the version you are running is 5.0.9308.543519. If you have an english version of Parallels Desktop, you really need to upgrade to the 9310.

The update for other localizations is not released yet, but it should be soon

13. Locito

Locito Bit poster

Hi

Im using the english version of Pararell Desktop. When i use the checkupdate tool in Pararells desktop it says i have the latest version already do i have to download the new one manually?

14. Robert M. Münch

Robert M. Münch Bit poster

So, I assume I can download the EN trail and just overwrite my installation, right?

Will do this now because I get crashes every 10 minutes when using Powerpoint...

15. ReinhartS

ReinhartS Bit poster

My ticket isn't resolved yet. The recommendations by KIS and Parallels seem a little odd but I keep trying.
    One question I did not find the answer.

What is the optimum configuration? How many processors, how much memory should be assigned when using a Windows 7 64bit on an i5 quadcore iMac with 4GB? 2 and 2?

In the forum I searched memory, processor, cores etc... without success

What are you guys using?

Regards from Germany

Reinhart

16. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Strange.. Yes, you need to download it manually. The is http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/

17. Locito

Locito Bit poster

Yes it finally works as intended.

I guess the confusion started when the check update tool kept saying that you always had the latest version when you really did not have it.

You should fix that so others wont keep posting the same thing =)

Thanks a lot Elric for your assistance.

18. Locito

Locito Bit poster

Yes thats exactly what you do, thats what i did. I overwrited the trial with the full version thats inside is already inside the computer. After installation my license stayed and i got the latest version.

The problem i had was to update the tool in the virtual desktop, but it worked when i updated the parallels tool without touching anything inside the virtual desktop.

And now it works like a charm!! :D