Parallels Desktop 5 - Autohide Taskbar in Coherence reverts.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mgjernes, Nov 24, 2009.

1. mgjernes

mgjernes Bit poster

Overall, I love the upgrade to Parallels Desktop 5 - especially, finally, true multi-monitor support for the guest Windows OS. However, in version 4 I got into the habit of using Coherence with the Windows taskbar (Win XP) on the side of the display with autohide enabled. Now, in version 5 with coherence, the autohide property will not stay enabled. It still works in Windowed or Full Screen modes, but as soon as I switch to coherence and then open at least one item from the Start Menu, autohide is disabled. Is anyone else finding this problem? Setting Parallels to hide the taskbar from the view menu does hide it, but I find I still need to go back to the task bar every now and then to find and move guest application windows, so this is a bit of a pain. The multi-mon upgrade is still VERY worth it, though!

2. Matt MacPherson

Matt MacPherson Bit poster

Same Problem

Yup, this exact issue happens to me as well. Parallels 4 worked fine, but when I upgraded the auto-hide feature keeps turning itself off while in coherence mode. I can turn it back on and it hides, but when I use something off the bar, auto-hide turns off again. My task bar is on the left of the screen so I can keep it separate from the Mac dock.

Matt

3. mgjernes

mgjernes Bit poster

Well at least each of us can now say,
    "I'm not the only one."

New bug in v5. I'll submit for a support ticket.

4. petrovv

petrovv Member

Hi mgjernes,
    thank you for pointing out this bug. We are going to work on this problem.

5. JMic

JMic Bit poster

Having the same problem. What I have also found is that it does not matter what side of the screen the Windows task bar is located, it reverts to turning off the auto-hide. As well, I tried to set my task bar to the right side of a 2 monitor setup. The right monitor is not the primary monitor but rather the secondary one. When the auto-hide turns itself off after selecting an item on the bar, the bar will also move to the right side of the primary monitor. This is frequent but not consistently.

Good luck solving this one.

6. JesusZ

JesusZ Bit poster

Solved it by going to the View menu of parallels and selecting Hide Windows Taskbar, pretty obvious, so obvious that it took me a week to find it out :S

7. JMic

JMic Bit poster

This simply turns off the Windows task bar altogether including the abiity to use the auto-hide feature. The problem we are looking to have resolved is being able to use the auto-hide of the taskbar feature. In the most current rev of Parallels, this is still not fixed.

8. Jeffrey Caughel

Jeffrey Caughel Bit poster

Is there a status on this? Does anyone have a workaround?

9. darwin@perkinsfam.us

darwin@perkinsfam.us Bit poster

I'm having a reverse of this problem. V5, using coherence in an XP pro machine.
    I set the taskbar to autohide, always on top.
    When it hides, I can't get it back, ever.
    I use the Command button which usually pulls up the taskbar along with the start menu, and all i get is the start menu. The taskbar stays hidden.
    Really frustrating. I need the taskbar because a couple of my applications exist only as program icons on the tray.

Any suggestions?

10. David Hamann

David Hamann Bit poster

I am having "major problems" with the auto hide taskbar option for windows 7, the auto hide box will not stay checked, even if I lock the taskbar. This is a very important feature. I upgraded to 5 and it seems to have a some bugs.
    Also in coherance mode (windows 7) the feature is lost where I can drag the page to either side of the screen and it would minimize to that half of the screen,although it still minimizes but, in version 4 before the upgrade, it would highlight in blue where the screen would fill, as it does in window 7 natively and in full screen mode. Overall I love the software and new features in vm5 but, I would much rather have the old features that existed in 4. Any fix for these two issues? Any advice is welcome. Please reply....

11. David Hamann

David Hamann Bit poster

I am having "major problems" with the auto hide taskbar option for windows 7, the auto hide box will not stay checked, even if I lock the taskbar. This is a very important feature. I upgraded to 5 and it seems to have a some bugs.
    Also in coherance mode (windows 7) the feature is lost where I can drag the page to either side of the screen and it would minimize to that half of the screen,although it still minimizes but, in version 4 before the upgrade, it would highlight in blue where the screen would fill, as it does in window 7 natively and in full screen mode. Overall I love the software and new features in vm5 but, I would much rather have the old features that existed in 4. Any fix for these two issues? Any advice is welcome. Please reply....

12. David Hamann

David Hamann Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

13. David Hamann

David Hamann Bit poster

14. Chris M

Chris M Bit poster

As of the latest release this is still an issue (build 5.0.9376 Revision 599993; August 27th 2010)

15. rmclachlan

rmclachlan Bit poster

This problem has just started to be an issue for me under Crystal. I cannot get the Taskbar to disappear. I wonder if it a corrupted prefereces issue. Parallels seems to think the setting is the opposite of what it should be, but under Crystal there is no way I can see to reset this. Any thoughts?

EDIT

Problem solved:

Alt-click the Parallels Menu Bar Icon || to open an extended menu. Choose "View" and "Hide Windows Taskbar".

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010