Linux 3D Acceleration on secondary display goes black

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Rob Johnson, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Rob Johnson

Rob Johnson Bit poster

Problem:
    I seem to be having a great time with version 5 with all of the new features and power that it offers. I am however having a small issue. I currently run a 2009 dual quad core Nehalem Mac Pro with 12 GBs of RAM. I use 3 24" Apple Cinema Displays, and 2 Dell 18.5 Inch LCDs all connected.

The problem I have is specifically with Linux 3d Acceleration, (Mint and Ubuntu). When I enable 3d Acceleration everything works great until I move the Linux VM to any display other than the main display. When I do the vm screen goes black. If I resize it I see for a split second that it the video is vertically flipped upside down, and then it immediately goes black again.

If I drag it back to the main display it and quickly resize it everything is fine again.If I disable 3D support and reboot the linux vm, it works just fine when I drag it to a secondary display.

2. Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton Member

Shutdown VM.

Configure VM->Hardware->Video for more memory and try again.

-Ed

3. Rob Johnson

Rob Johnson Bit poster

It's already maxed at 256MBs

4. Rob Johnson

Rob Johnson Bit poster

Anyone else have any experience with this issue?

5. AlcidesM

AlcidesM Bit poster

I have been having the exact same problem, I have 3 24 inch monitors and obuntu does work on the main screen enabling 3d but if I change it to a another screen changes stops working. The whole windows goes upside down the only way to fix it it's by not using the 3d, but takes all the fun from obuntu.

6. Yvo

Yvo Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem. 3 monitors and with ubuntu 9,10 I can not turn 3D acceleration on when I move the VM to my 2nd monitor.
    The second and third monitor are connected to a GeForce 7300 GT and the main monitor is connected to a Geforce 8800 GT.
    When I use Linux Mint and I use full screen view, set to use all monitors, I can turn the 3D acceleration on but I have to turn the fancy 3D options off in Linux Mint or the 2 monitors on my 7300 turn white.